*Review* Denon AVR-3803

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chuck Kent, Dec 17, 2002.

1. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Mike: Enjoyed the review. I like your brands (I've got a Yamaha and a Denon!)

As for the bass management issue, I guess I never saw Denon's quirk as a big deal. It always worked right for the more critical listening modes (Direct (due to the ability to turn the sub off), DPL, DTS NEO, DD and DTS.) And the sub could be turned down (albeit not off) in the other modes. (It's certainly a nice touch to include the Off setting in all modes for the 3803.)

My guess as to why it has never been an issue is that the other DSP modes are not used as much and/or are probably used under less strict listening conditions???

2. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Nice review Mike. [​IMG] I have always felt that Yamaha, Sony ES and Onkyo are brighter than Denon, HK and Marantz. Now if only someone can do an A/B comparison between comparable Denon and Onkyo and ES. I have found that brightness sounds very appealing on the first go where people mistake it for detail but over longer listening periods brightness leads to listener fatigue whereas I can listen to warm sound endlessly without any strain and at any volume. Now that doesn't mean that I am bashing the brighter brands. All I think is brighter brands need a careful choice of speakers to mate with while you have a wider choice with a warm brand. Maybe thats because most speakers use metal dome tweeters or some variation thereof which can go best with warmer sounding electronics, IMHO.

3. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Mike,I'm one of those guys who like to use the sub in all modes.The reason is being,because my subs are really "optimized"[positioned and equalized correctly] to reproduce bass[below 80hz] better then pretty much any speakers out there.What is this has to do with your review?
    Well,only with your points on the Denon bm features.I'm simply don't "rely" on them so their "shortcomings" don't affect me like it does you,[well as long as they have a single filter point,in all modes].

4. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer