What's new

Review By Me - Dead Like Me: Season 1 (1 Viewer)

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
Title: Dead Like Me: Season 1

Starring: Ellen Muth
Mandy Patinkin
Callum Blue
Jasmine Guy

Rating: N/R - TV Series (Showtime - Contains adult situations)
Year: 2003
Length: 10hrs. 27min

Plot (From the back of the box):
You're about to be collected. "Winningly eccentric" (LA Daily News) and "insistently irreverrent" (People), this groundbreaking, original series delivers you into a realm of shockingly Funny Characters and twisted narratives you'll find completely "addictive" (New York Daily News)!

When an errant toilet seat from the Mir Space Station puts an abrupt end to her life, George (Ellen Muth) discovers that death is nothing like she thought it would be. Recruited to collect souls of others as they die, she suddenly finds herself an unwilling participant in a line of work she never knew existed: Grim Reaping!

The DVD:
16X9 Widescreen (1.78:1) with English 5.1 surround Sound. This set had a nice little collection of extras.... including...
  • 30 Minutes of Deleted Scenes
  • Behind The Scenes Featurette
  • The Music of Dead Like Me
  • Photo Gallery
  • Season 2 Promo

My Thoughts:
This set looks and sounds about the best I ever seen/heard it on Showtime. Unfortunately I can't give a great opinion on this as I only have an old (about 10yrs old) 20" TV and a rather cheap and rundown surround sound... both of which really needs to be replaced. Dead Like Me is a very entertaining dark comedy. I thought it was funny to find a clip episode for a show after only 9 episodes into the series. Like we really needed a reminder on what has happened in that little bit of time? In my opinion a show that only runs 14 episodes per season really don't need a clip episode at all... but I am sure they had their reason for adding it. Over all this is a very good series that I enjoyed immensely. I can't wait for next month and the start of Season 2.

I really enjoyed listening to the audio commentary with the cast on the pilot. They really seemed to have fun making it and I have always preferred the cast commentaries. The crew commentaries just lacked something in my opinion. Maybe just not being able to place the face with the voice... I don't know. I also watched the Behind the Scenes Featurette and the promo for season 2. I haven't had the chance to check out the deleted scenes yet. but wow! 30min of deleted scenes! big plus!

My Rating:
9 out of 10 - Highly Recommended

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member

It can work-episode 2 of Clerks was a clip/flashback show, and that was hysterical!

I actually enjoyed this show, but haven't decided if it's actually worth owning yet. The DVD budget has been stretched pretty thin recently...

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
Oh I agree... I feel it can and did work. I just thought it was funny they felt the need for one so quickly. I actually did enjoy the episode. Plus I think it could have something to do with watching them so quickly one after the other with the shows still so freshly in my mind.

I know what you mean... I really have been going overboard on my dvd purchases too. But I really wanted this one. not that there isn't many more I really want! So many dvds and so little money!

Daryl Stovall

Second Unit
I made a blind purchase on this title and glad that I did. This is one of the most original and sometimes poignant series i've seen in a while. I can hardly wait for season two to start.

Daryl Stovall

Second Unit
I made a blind purchase on this title and glad that I did. This is one of the most original and sometimes poignant series i've seen in a while. I can hardly wait for season two to start.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
Thats great... I am glad you enjoyed it... I am also so nervous when I order a boxset blind like that... but so far so good! I haven't been disappointed yet!

I still need to get back to this set so I can watch those deleted scenes... but my brother grabbed the set on me because he never seen the show... and he is so slow on watching DVDs! :frowning: So I have yet to see those deleted scenes!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks