What's new

Review: B&W HT/Music Setup (1 Viewer)

FelixJose

Auditioning
Like I had posted before I was going to get the following setup:
Speakers:
B&W - 804's in the front, 805's in the rear, and HTM 2 in the center with a velodyne 12" sub.
Receiver
Yamaha 3200 (720Watts)
I have to say that I'm very impressed with my new system. I can only say I have two small regrets. 1. I feel that the 805's in the rear are way overkill, but it compliments the system very nice. 2. with the price difference on smaller surrounds I feel I should have gone with the HTM 1 in the center. I don't want to put the HTM 2 down, I feel its amazing center speaker. But for HT the 804 are to much for it, in action sequences you lose that beautiful balance of action and dialog.
Now when you pop a cd ANY TYPE OF MUSIC! Now WOW! that's when you hear B&W at its finest. My jaw just dropped to hear the speakers play classical, pop, or any other type of music i threw at it. The 804 produce such rich music, and it hit the highs so beautiful! :) :)
I'm very new to audio so i dont know how valid is my review, but i believe we all hear the same with our ears. And well my ears are now in orgasmic pleasure.
Felix Jose

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
Felix, the ONLY thing that the 804s lack a bit of is BASS, BUT I did hear them on a 600wpc amp and holy cow!!! the bass was amazing!! I would bet that if you had a dedicated moderatly powered amp and a sub, you would LOVE then for HT as well.

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
btw, the center and rears are always kind of weird to set up. I run 601s (with my soon to be 804 and HTM2), and I think that they did great with my CDM7NT fronts. The HTM1 was never an option for me based on its size and wt, but if you could afford it the options certainly let you get 602 rears and a HTM1 and $$ left over, or 805 rears and an HTM2 (which in reality should be perfectly matched, unless you went HTM1 and 804 front and rear, which is crazy $$)

Brian Vaughan

Stunt Coordinator
Felix, Congrats on the delivery of the new speakers. I'm sure that you will come to love them even more over time as they break-in. Not to sway you towards picking up the HTM1 (I have the HTM2 and have no complaints), but I thought you might enjoy this review of a complete Nautilus home theater setup. It's the same as yours (and mine) but with the HTM1:
Link Removed
Cheers, Brian

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
Nice setup.
How many WPC is that yamaha?
I am going for a very similar system. I am going to replace my old DM630's with N804's. I have an nHTM2. I was first considering the SCM1's for surrounds or the 805's but thought a better idea would be to upgrade the center to the NHTM1 and 601 or 2's for surrounds (rears are DS6's). That seamless front end would really sound beautiful. Have any of you tried the center down in front? I tried it recently and loved it so much I just ordered the sound anchor stand for it. Try it. Especially if you have a big RPTV (I have a 65") and the center is very high over the mains.

Marc

FelixJose

Auditioning
My Yamaha receiver is 120wtts per ch.

How many DB (Volume) is too much for my speaker set up? I ussually have it at -25db is this too much or can i crank it more?

Brian Vaughan

Stunt Coordinator
Felix, You shouldn't be worried at all about driving the speakers too loud with 120 watts/channel. Both the HTM2 and the N805s are rated to handle up to 120 watts, 200 watts for the N804. I'm pretty sure that it would be way too loud for you before you ever came close to pumping out the full 120 watts/channel. Plus, I'm assuming that the 120 watts rating is into 1 channel, with all 5 going at the same time you probably would never reach that high an output.

Cheers, Brian

CraigR

Agent
Felix,

Congrats on the new speakers. That is a very nice set up. It looks like you got a 12" Velodyne sub. Which one did you end up getting? IMO, the HTM1 would work better with the 804's but it is significantly larger, heavier and more money than the HTM2. Like Rodney indicated you might want to think about separate amps for the 804's or maybe a 3 channel amp to include the the center speaker. But that can be a future upgrade. Enjoy your system.

Craig

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks