reversing 4:3 burn in

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Theron Shaffer, Nov 6, 2002.

1. Theron Shaffer

I understand the causes of burn in and have searched the burn-in topics. My question regards burn in from a widescreen being left in 4:3 mode on display, and whether there is a way to reverse that.

I only ask because I understand there is no real fix to static burn in, but some of the posts mentioned "you might be able to fix it if it was from the static bars for 4:3 content" but none elaborated beyond that.

My question stems from a local store selling a 2000 dollar panasonic for a few hundred dollars because it has the 4:3 burn in...and I was debating whether it might be worth it if there was a way to minimize the burn.

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I would pass it up. Stores routinely leave the contrast set very high on display models, because they want the most attention-grabbing image possible. I suspect that burn-in is only part of the problem with this set; it's useful life has probably been reduced from overdriving the CRTs.

M.

3. SteveDev

SteveDev Agent

Definately agree. You have to remember that CRT's have limited lives to begin with. Usually this isn't a huge problem since with normal use "limited life" normally means by the time it dies you're likely looking for a new set anyway. However, stores usually leave their sets on 24/7 (at least the big stores do while smaller boutiques likely have the set on 12 hours a day) so this may severely limit the life of the set. If the contrast is set too high (which if it has burn-in it likely was), this is a double whammy!

Steve

4. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

I agree with Michael and Steve completly...... however i would also look at how cheap.... i mean even if you only got a few eyars out of it it might not be that bad for 4:3 material. perhaps you are a gamer or your kids are for a few hundred dollars you could get a set that is big, in a very non-critical use and then who cares if your games and such burn it in, hehehehe its kinda like taking your old mountain bike when you want to go do really stupid stuff [​IMG]

5. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Hey, why doesn't someone market a DVD that puts black where the picture was and a high-intensity image where the black bars were? Then you could crank up your contrast and burn everything in evenly.

Jan

6. Theron Shaffer

thanks for the input! I was wondering if there in fact was a way to "bleach" the darkened areas back, for lack of a better word because it was hinted at in some posts.

I agree, it would be a poor choice if it was even half price due to the reasons you stated....but I might consider it if its down to just 3 or 4 hundred just as the post above stated, primarily for 4:3 material and not expect a miracle. If there was a way to reduce the burn or even it, that was going to push me to buy....but as is I suppose I will use that money elsewhere.

Thanks all!

7. Ben_E

Ben_E Stunt Coordinator

Ok this is something I have wondered and here its been brought up. Why isn't there a DVD to fix certain burn in problems? I mean I don't see why it would be so hard. Create one with an option for a main black image and a brighter image on the sides for 4:3 burn in and a letterbox mode for 16:9 burn in (well several to compensate for the different aspect ratios). And it would allow people to watch 4:3 tv on their 16:9 RPTVs a lot more often. Sure burn in would happen, but with a little work and patience on evening out the burn in with the disk it wouldn't be that big of a deal. Why hasn't this happend yet?

8. Ming Wang

Ming Wang Agent

I don't know others but my panny widescreen shows 4:3 material with gray bars on sides, to minimize uneven burn in.

how many people have 4:3 burn in on there widescreen set? or how many see letterbox burn in?

9. Michael St. Clair

There are people who have used a PC to 'reverse burn', basically making their own patterns with a paint program.

One could definitely make a major improvement with some care, but you'll likely never wear it to match 100%, especially at the seam.

10. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

The paint program is a great idea. You could "feather in" the seam, I'd think, with an airbrush effect.

Ming Wang: I don't know how many, or what percentage. I think the problem is overstated, but it does happen, especially with sets that aren't properly calibrated that are still running on "torch" mode with the contrast turned up high (as they come from the factory).

The gray bars are better than black ones for reducing burn-in, but some people find them more distracting. That's why a good stretch mode is so important, so that for non-critical viewing you can fill the screen and avoid burn-in issues.

Jan

11. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

A PC would really be the best way to go. To even attempt it, you're going to need to get to the exact right amount, by the pixel to avoid getting a still very noticable line on the side.
    Why isn't there a DVD for it? The average 'Joe 6-pack' won't be worried or notice this anyway, and certainly won't attempt to fix it. And the rest of us keep our cotrast turned down. [​IMG]

12. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

I can attest to burn in happening, maybe its a bad example but at work we have security monitors, they are simple black and white, but one of the cameras got ripped down so that monitor is no longer in use and with the monitor off i can see the tile pattern from the floor. (the camera was stationary) and that camera was only in place about 2 years or so when it went down.

Granted that is a very static image, but there it is.

13. Michael St. Clair

14. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

You cannot repair phosphor burn. All you can do is to damage (burn) the rest of the face of the CRT so that you can't see the lines from the burn. What will result is poor gray scale, color uniformity and whites that are pink. The only cure is to replace the CRTs. Anything else is a poor bandaid.