Reversible FARGO cover insert on MGM SE

Discussion in 'DVD' started by MattHR, Dec 20, 2003.

1. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

I just noticed that the MGM special edition of FARGO
    has a reversible cover insert. I never noticed it before, but I saw a bit of print showing through the area around the clips on the inside of the case, and was surprised to find an alternate cover option. The front is the same art that was used on the two previous editions (except for the blood that was added around the dead body). The backside of the cover insert is an animated "map" that chronicles the events of the film between Minneapolis and Fargo.

I wish more studios would offer this type of alternate cover option, especially those that change the original art for the dvd. The original ad art could be on the backside, which would please those of us who prefer the original art.

2. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

This title should have had a clear keepcase a la Adaptation so you could see the map on the inside of the case.

3. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

I replaced my keepcase with a clear one. Not only can you see the inside of the reversible cover, it gives the whole thing a nice icy look.

4. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    Mine had a black keepcase, too. I'll have to find a clear one somewhere to replace it. That's a good idea!

5. Darren Pillans

Darren Pillans Second Unit

Nearly all Region 4 titles have inner-cover artwork and come in clear Amarays.

Me likes that lots.

If I knew how to include pictures with my post, I could show you some.

6. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

I got mine from Inet. They're notorious for having outrageous shipping prices, but if you buy no more than two cases it's doable. I bought a clear Alpha for "Fargo" and a black two-disc Amaray to accomodate the fifthe extra disc that came with the Indiana Jones box at Best Buy. The two together cost me about $7 shipped.

The sight has both Alpha and Amaray clear cases. Here's the link:

http://www.inetdvd.com/store/shopsub...%2FMedia+Cases

7. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Is or was there two releases of this movie? Was there a non-special edition?

8. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

It was first released by Polygram (now defunct). MGM then released their movie-only edition. MGM has since released a remastered special edition with extra features. This is the version with the reversible cover insert and the limited outer-sleeve for the case.

9. Jough

Jough Stunt Coordinator

I've gotten a few MGMs that did NOT have the Limited Sleeve and had a different keepcase than the one that I've seen with the earlier pressings. Hopefully they won't replace the clear case with a standard black one.

The first US release I've seen with a clear case and double-sided cover was "Adaptation" from CTS.

10. Jake Johnson

Jake Johnson Second Unit

Just ordered 2 of them. One for Fargo and one for Schizopolis: Criterion. Weird things are written on the back of that cover..

11. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

They should have included a clear case and ommitted the full screen version of the film and use that side of the disc for some art work. [​IMG]