What's new

Reversed "red" connection on Component Input! (1 Viewer)

Hi all:

I had a near panic attack. I just got a Sony 32HS500 and hooked up my XBox to it using the component adaptor (sold separately). Screen looked awesome for a week!

I had a painter come by and paint my living room and a buddy and I had to move the TV for him. The next day I was playing Xbox and noticed that colors looked very "dead" and there was no red where there was supposed to be! Yikes! I looked at the connections behind the TV and everything was fine. I reset back to factory settings the video setup and it still looked horrible. I was so upset. I then arranged for crutchfield to come get it and I was ready to forget this huge purchase for a while. Then I did more troubleshooting...

I discovered (follow along here it can sound complicated) that the whole time (WHILE THE TV WAS WORKING GREAT) I had the red connections BEHIND the xbox in reverse (the red cable for audio going into the red component connection and the red cable for component going to the red input for audio). I had to remove the cable from the back of the TV to move it and once I reconnected the cable, (without knowing it) I made all the connections correctly. This caused the TV to look like crap because now the connections on the back of the TV didn't match the back of the Xbox. Once I discovered this in my last ditch effort to fix my TV and I made both sides look the same - BINGO - TV looks great again.

My concern is this - could I have caused damage? Something that I won't see for a long time? What if I hooked up the actual audio "red" into the component "red" would that even have allowed the the TV to show a screen? Would that cause damage if done by accident? I really hoped that all I did was reverse the cables thus having the proper input going the correct output but what if my red connection reversal cause the audio signal to go into the red component input of the TV?

I feel so silly - I am usually very careful. By the way - I never listen to the sound off the TV so I have no idea if the sound even played originially.

Any help would be appreciated. Feeling a bit parinoid that I might have caused serious damage.

Pls help!

Mike

Jim FC

Stunt Coordinator
Your TV is fine. The only thing that happens when you plug an audio out into a video in (or vice versa) is that your TV looks and sounds weird... no permanent damage can be done by an unamplified signal such as the ones coming from your Xbox.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
As long as the Y cable is hooked up properly you'll get a picture. If you disconnect the Pr and Pb you'll get a B&W image. Pr contains red info and Pb contains blue info (green is derived from these two), so if you hook one up incorrectly, you'll get the wrong colors. One time while hooking up a DVD player I had the Pr and Pb cables reversed and everyone looked like blue/green aliens.

If you switch audio with video, you won't get picture or sound, or proper picture and sound. But you won't damage the set either.

KJP

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks