What's new

REVENGE OF THE SITH DVD Review up and running...(let the flood begin)(SNEAK LOOK POST #146)... (1 Viewer)

Sev Bragg

Stunt Coordinator
"I wish I could just wish these feelings away."

Good or bad, I've said those same words to a girl before.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
Andrew,

The Queen's dialogue in that scene isn't the theme of that film...sure, it's a political statement but is that statement in Attack of the Clones ultimately what the film is about in the end?

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
The problem with the "but George was just writing it the way teenagers really talk" defense is that these aren't
supposed to be depictions of "ordinary" people doing and saying "run of the mill, mediocre" things. This is supposed to be Grand Romantic Myth, a romanticized, idealized portrayal of characters that do and say things "ordinary people" do NOT do and say. Suppose, for example, that the light saber fights were portrayed very clumsily, with people stumbling and looking awkward, instead of having everything carefully choreographed and edited so as to make these people look like Idealized Expert Warriors. Would the defense of such poor choreography be "oh, but that's how the typical 20 something would really fight"? Or how about poorly done costuming or makeup or lighting, so that Hayden and Natalie don't look like perfect, blemish free model types? After all, "real" people don't look like that.

It's simply too convenient to say "yes, we're doing a fictional Grand Heroic Myth here", but in an area where the maker of the myth isn't able to pull off grand dialogue, it's all supposed to be "realistic, and about ordinary people". I don't accept that, any more than I would accept a clumsy, nervous, insecure James Bond who has no idea what to say to the gorgeous woman because that's how the "typical" man might feel.

The classic "goodbye" scene in Casablanca has exactly the kind of melodramatic, "corny" dialogue Lucas claims he was shooting for, yet when has anyone EVER said that scene was poorly acted or written? Big difference.

RickHeart

Agent

Excellent, excellent point. And right on the money.

Question: would Bogart and Bergman been as bad as Hayden and Portman had Lucas (God forbid) directed Casablanca?

RickHeart

Agent

Bogart and Bergman as Anakin and Amidala...now THAT's something I'd like to see.

And I think Sidney Greenstreet could do a mean Jabba.

RickHeart

Agent
"Padme, if there's one thing I've learned, it's that the problems of two little people don't add up to a hill of beans in this crazy galaxy. We'll always have Naboo."

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
"What brought you to Mos Eisley?"

"My health. I came to Tatooine for the waters."

"Waters? What waters? We're in the desert."

"I was mis-informed."

RickHeart

Agent
"I'll wager my new racing pod against...say...the boy and his
mother."

"Just the mother. I'm only a poor corrupt junk dealer"

ShaunG

Stunt Coordinator
"Romance in the stone"
"Romancing the stone"
"Romancing the Bone"

Whatever, you can tell I don't watch it that often :p).

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H

I'm with Sev. You guys have never seen ME in action with the love of my life.:) Even when the words are half-decent, I would hope the look on my face and in my eyes would mean more than the delivery at the moment. It's why people used to write romantic LETTERS; today, emails. People aren't always suave when dealing with strong emotions they're not used to dealing with.

Anakin and Padme may be people of stature, but Anakin is not a wealthy playboy type, nor is Padme one used to entertaining suitors. Anakin's never been with a woman and Padme's experiences have likely been limited to girlish flirtations. Their lives had been pre-occupied with other things. Anakin joined the order a bit late to be completely monastic in nature, but didn't have the opportunity to let his emotions mature with others like him of similar age (like Luke did). The other Padawans weren't daydreaming for 10 years about the queen they met on Tatooine. So, he WOULD be clumsy and though she is older and more classy than he is, she is also inexperienced, having never allowed herself to give into love since she was too busy being noble and political. It works for me. It may be clunky to a lot of people, but I believe it's the story Lucas wanted to tell with these characters he created, and I can identify with it, though I recognize that many people probably can't. I guess I'm lucky in that regard.

And, I'm amazed this thread hasn't been warned or shut down; it has been de-railed for a long, long time. The discussions have been good, but belong in the Movies saga thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks