What's new

Revenge of the Sith DVD release date? (1 Viewer)

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

Those examples are minor in comparison to the deleted footage that DID make it onto the DVD's.

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit
Really? You'd rather see more of the Podracers waving to the crowd or see what Padme's bedroom looked like than see Count Dooku fighting Anakin with two sabers? I guess our tastes differ quite a bit.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I don't want to speak for anyone but I think Bill means that since the Qui-Gon/Darth Maul fight and Dooku with two sabers are at most a few shots and not an actual scene, they are minor in that regard.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I'm talking about the amount of deleted material, not the quality. In both cases the amount of material that didn't make it onto the DVD is minor in comparison to what did.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Lucas said something about the eventual box set having a disc full of deleted scenes from all 6 films. That would be AWESOME! We already have the great documentary about the originals with Empire of Dreams and each of the prequel discs already has pretty extensive behind-the-scenes material so a disc with a couple hours of deleted footage would be a great. I really hope it happens. :emoji_thumbsup:

MarkBirds

Stunt Coordinator
I hope the deleted scenes for ROTS include Liam Neeson's voiceover/appearance, which appeared in the graphic novel.
I was somewhat disappointed it didn't make it into the theatrical version.

I read someplace that in AOTC, there was a sequence that took place in which two Jedi conduct a raid on a droid control ship. This didn't make it onto the 2002 release, but maybe we'll see it when the 6-disc big kahuna box set comes out in the next couple of years.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The official site has an animatic from that droid control scene. It may be done at some point, but it would take a lot of effort to get it completed.

Eric Emma

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Eric H. Emma
I'm not a George Lucas basher, he seems to be a nice enough guy but he does bug me a little with his DVD releases. I can see his reasoning behind it all but I wish he just release definate editions instead of releasing multiples and what not.

greg_t

Screenwriter

Well so far we only have one edition of each Star Wars DVD, so I don't see how it can bug you. And it's not just Lucas, look at the Lord of the Rings, why didn't they release one definitive version, what about the Matrix and it's new 10 dvd box set? It's not just Lucas.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

I saw both film and digital versions this weekend, and there was no difference. Both were great.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
What scares me is that last line of his interveiw about it all going on-line eventually.

I don't know when this will happen, but I hope it's a long, long time from now. I will never watch a film on a computer screen...ever! Must we use the internet for every single solitary thing in exsistance!?

I may be wrong and it doesn't even mean what I think it means, but I still don't like the sound of that at all.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
John- What Lucas refers to when saying that eventually, the films will be available on-line, is that the entire home video/entertainment industry will go that direction.

There is an article in a very recent issue of Wired Magazine where the author says that current CD and DVD's as a means to provide content is a tortorous path for which it gets to us. He states that the days of discs to carry content is on it's way to the grave.

With the amazing success of Apple's iTunes that delivers music to you, the same will happen with video material. The ability to transmit huge amounts of data will be made easier as compression methods improve and hi-speed accesss becomes more common. He quotes a figure that a HI-Def movie is compressed to 2 Gbyte and be small enough to download quite quickly. Once you have it, then you can burn it onto a disc to view on your HT system. And the material is not just limited to your computer for download, it can download into your DVR directly. I remember Gene Roddenberry postulating this possibility in the early 70's.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Your post didn't make me feel any better, Nelson. I am in no way the most knowledgeable guy in terms of computers, and the thought that my viewing and owning films will one day DEPEND on computers scares the hell out of me!

I am a very simple guy, I have no cell phone (don't want one, either) and use msntv for my internet needs. This whole computer revolution is leaving people like me behind and it doesn't seem fair somehow.

Anyway, I still have the dvd of ROTS to look foreward to. :)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Tim,
what exactly do you mean? So i'm not into the whole computer scene, is there something wrong with me for feeling like that?

I know other people that ARE into computers that would hate this concept as well, it's a hassle, download this, burn that, forget all that.

Bottom line, not everything has to revolve around a computer. I tell you this, the day that I have to depend only on a computer for my entertainment is the day I find myself a new hobby besides films and music.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
John, I doubt DVD's or whatever form will totally go away. There is something "primal" going back to the days of LP records when you can go to a record store and buy an album, bring it home and play it and enjoy the liner notes and photos on the jacket.

Just to elaborate a bit more about the Wired Magazine article, the author is saying that the ability to download movies and music is simply a much more efficient means to get the content to the consumer. It takes away the packaging and transportation problem of getting it to a store and then the customer going there to buy it. That saves a lot of cost for the content provider. But the big thing, it takes away all the issues of Blue Ray verse what's-this-week's-format. So all the manuafacturers won't have to hassle with conforming with the latest DVD standard Du Jour. Compatability is less an issue.

An additional benefit, the customer gets the content quicker. And for certain markets, it makes it easier to get esoteric titles out to them at no cost hit. In other words, that version of title XYZ without the voice over that you want, but not a lot of the public is interested in, can now be had because there is no cost to press new DVD's for a market so small. The provider has an outlet for getting it to you.

Don't get me wrong, I like the concept, but I'm not entirely comfortable myself. And the idea of downloads is to reach the wider market, so I'm sure they will take all the hassles out of it. TiVo or something like it will make the whole thing as easy as using your remote control on your TV to order a movie. It won't be strictly to the computer. I still like buying a physical packaged disc myself.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Right now, I like physical media, but I imagine the plan will be to make it pretty user friendly for those who don't like messing with computers. I imagine the idea is that you will plug a box into your TV, and you will then navigate to the content you want from there. No computers. It'll probably even be able to record the content onto disc right there, like a TiVo with a DVD recorder built in. That's really not that different from what we have now in terms of cable boxes, OnDemand, and all of that. The content will just be higher quality, permanently owned, etc. Of course, if it can be streamed in real time with no pauses, they probably will try to not let you burn it to disc. It would just stream out to you any time you wanted it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks