Revenge of the Creature & Creature walks among us, any hope?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Todd_Brown, Jun 7, 2003.

1. Todd_Brown

Todd_Brown Second Unit

I know these titles among others (House of Dracula comes to mind), are brought up every now and again on wish lists, but I have a question. Since they haven't been announced by Universal, and lord knows when they will come [​IMG] , are any of these available on laser disc? I need an alternative, I gotta have these films!
    Todd

2. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Todd, I have the first one on LD. I remember a double feature set that had the first one and one of the sequels but I can't remember which one.

REVENGE OF THE CREATURE & CREATURE WALKS AMONG US & HOUSE OF DRACULA all have the little LD circle next to them in Leonard Maltin's listing. If I was you, I'd jump on an LD copy of HOUSE OF DRACULA if I could find it. It's not a plentiful title I suspect? I've never seen a copy. A bud at AVS sez some LD's have "mintages" as low as 500. Could be?

I'd think those Creature movies would hit DVD sooner or later. I'd bet that they're more common than HOUSE on LD but stille not easy to find. That's my quesstimate anyway. I look for fairly obscure discs at Big Emma's and E-bay mostly, myself. Sometimes it takes months to get hits, sometimes not. Try finding a copy of HIGH SIERRA! Good luck and best wishes!

3. Reed Grele

Reed Grele Screenwriter

Reed Grele
    I own the Laserdisc double features (gatefold, nice artwork) of Both REVENGE OF THE CREATURE & CREATURE WALKS AMONG US and HOUSE OF DRACULA & HOUSE OF FRANKENSTEIN.

If you can't wait for Universal to release them on DVD, the LD's do turn up on Ebay from time to time. I'd grab them If only for the great artwork which you'll never get on the DVD. DVD's have great picture quality, but I miss the 12" gatefold jacket art.

Reed

4. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
    Revenge of the Creature was released in 1955 in 3-D. I would love to see it in field sequential 3-D on DVD.

5. Todd_Brown

Todd_Brown Second Unit

Well at least they were available on laser disc. Now the hunt begins.
    Todd

6. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

Revenge is the one Universal monster movie i want the most.
    although i would happily grab up just about any others they chose to put out at this point.

people are hoping that next years big screen Van Helsing will be the excuse they need to put these back out.
    i dunno.

at this point the only thing that would make me hopeful is to see them get sold and bring in some new management.
    their catalog releases don't seem to exhibit much rhyme or reason

7. Todd_Brown

Todd_Brown Second Unit

Hello all,
    Is there any new info on these and the other missing Universal classic horror titles? I know there has been talk of a resurrection of the first set to coincide with the release of Van Helsing , has this even been substantiated? If so is there any talk of releasing any of the missing ones?

I am dying for the Creature titles in particular[​IMG] Come on Universal, release these titles!

Just in case there is not much hope, anyone know where I can find the laser discs (don't mention EBAY, they ain't to be found).

Todd

8. John Sparks

John Sparks Screenwriter

John Sparks
    RolandL

"Creature from the Black Lagoon and Revenge of the Creature" were shown in Polarized 3-D(first time in 50 yrs.)last week at the World 3-D Film Expo in Hollywood at the Egyptian Theatre...what a sight to behold. It was a dream come true to see them in all their glory on the big screen like they were supposed to be seen! [​IMG]

I kept my lasers of all the Universal titles and didn't upgrade because the films weren't restored in any way when they went to DVD, just digitalized...not worth the cost. [​IMG]

9. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I just won the REVENGE OF THE CREATURE & CREATURE WALKS AMONG US DF laserdisc on ebay. I'd tried before , but was always outbid.

10. John Sparks

John Sparks Screenwriter

John Sparks
    Jeff_HR

Congrats!!![​IMG]

You'll love the PQ of these. [​IMG]

It's tough to take, but you'll even see the wires used for some of the scenes...that good of a print!!!

11. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I don't figure on seeing these on DVD for a very long time, if at all, seeing the mess that Universal is in.

12. Todd_Brown

Todd_Brown Second Unit

13. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

Universal is slowly but surely missing the boat w/ regrds to dvds.
    although i'm not holding my breath waiting for HD-dvd, it will be here, relativly, in no time so the window of opportunity to release catalog material on the dvd format for the most impact is slowly eroding'
    Disney realizes this which is one reason they bumped up the output f their Platinum collection to 2 per year.

i do expect that Van Helsing will initiate another round of monster titles.
    i only hope that cross-over promotion would spur a release of a Kolchak box set as well.
    there is never going to be a better time for it.

14. David Tolsky

David Tolsky Supporting Actor

Halloween is fast approaching and you may all be surprised what comes out [​IMG]

15. AlanBrom

AlanBrom Second Unit

"Halloween is fast approaching and you may all be surprised what comes out"

Universal doesn't have anything special coming out for Halloween, at least not the titles in question.

16. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Apparently the people running things at Universal are either very dumb, or just don't give a hoot, or are unable to do their jobs because of the problems there. Hopefully it is number three. Otherwise Universal should be put out of its misery & dissolved.

I'm looking forward to watching the DF when I get the LDs in the mail.

17. David Tolsky

David Tolsky Supporting Actor

"Universal doesn't have anything special coming out for Halloween, at least not the titles in question."

Truth is, there was a reason that Universal put their original monster movies on moritorium. You may not see it on any Coming Soon lists but I believe Universal is planning something.

18. AlanBrom

AlanBrom Second Unit

October starts Tuesday. DVD Promotions are usually hyped months in advance. Am I missing somthing here? I think they are planning on taking a nap.

19. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Planning on taking a dirt nap, sounds like. Seriously, with Universal up for sale, why wouldn't they be issuing discs like mad to increase their earnings? The first thing any serious purchaser would look at is their EBITDA (Earnings Before Interest, Taxes, Depreciation and Amortization), and you don't boost EBITDA by holding back on selling your product. Something is more than a little fishy with this picture.

20. Bill Burns

Bill Burns Supporting Actor