Revenge of Frankenstein-Japanese menus+subtitles I can't remove.What am I doin wrong?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Johnny G, Sep 16, 2002.

1. Johnny G

Johnny G Supporting Actor

It's made by Columbia/Tristar but the back of the case says www.sony.com which makes me wonder if Sony have used the same master disc as for their Japanese release.
    I try my subtitle button, then I can use the arrows on my remote to flick through the different subtitles, English, French & Japanese, but I can't remove them altogether.
    I go to the menu to try & find the subtitle option to select none but the menu is all in Japanese so I can't find it.
    Please help.

2. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

Sounds to me like you have yourself a bootleg, probably made from a Japanese LD. Does anyone know if this has ever been officially released on DVD?

EDIT: Quick question... look at the packaging. Are there many misspellings on the back? Does it soundlike it was written by someone who only has limited English? If, so I think it's a bootleg, but correct me if I'm wrong.

3. Reed Grele

Reed Grele Screenwriter

Reed Grele
    Are you by any chance playing this on a region free player? I had the same trouble with "Return of the Vampire" on my Daewoo 5700 (set to region "9".) When I changed the region back to "1", I got the English menu as default.
    Reed [​IMG]

4. Johnny G

Cheers Reed,

That must be it, I suppose I'll have to live with it. Clever things these DVDs.

Unless the menus work the same in Japanese as English, can you tell me how many times you move the sursor down to get the subtitles menu then how many times you move down to select none?

much appreciated

5. Johnny G

does anyone have this disc who can tell me which part of the menu brings up the subtitle menu and which part of that says none? The menus could work the same in English & Japanese.