Revel Concerta

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by VinhT, Apr 5, 2005.

1. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

There is a press release on the Revel website dated in January. Secrets had a small article at the end of March. No mention of when the speakers might be available. I contacted the nearest Revel dealer in a nearby state, but it seems my business is not needed (or the Concerta line is too cheap). I even tried calling Revel, no answer.

Anyone have any idea when the Concerta line might be available?

2. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

Talked to a Harman Specialty Group representative. Initial orders have exceeded expectations. They are trying to ship them at the end of April.

3. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

Vinh,
    Thank for the info. I am curious about these speakers as well. Unfortunately I think my nearest dealer is 3 hours away.
    I wonder if anybody "forced" Revel to make a speaker at such a low price point. It looks so "plain jane" hopefully it'll deliver in sound.
    Keep us posted if you get to hear some.

4. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

My email response (sent yesterday), ...
    Can't wait to audition the Revel Concerta Series 1 - M12 Monitor and C12 Center Channel Speakers!

Phil

5. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Yeah, they look pretty cool. They better sound AMAZING, as I would hate to see Revel soil its name with 'meh' speakers.

6. Scott_N

Scott_N Second Unit

Harman already has budget speakers lines in Infinity and JBL so Revel making budget speakers doesn't make sense to me since they were formed to be a high end speaker company. I wonder if these speakers will even be made by Revel or will they be made in China? So what's next $500 receivers from Lexicon and $250 cd players from Levinson?[​IMG]

7. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

8. Scott_N

Scott_N Second Unit

I didn't mean ALL of the Infinity and JBL speaker lines are budget speakers. Revel was created to be a specialty audiophile company not a mass market brand. Infinty and JBL's brand image isn't the same as Revel. Will Mercedes release a new model based on a Dodge Neon? [​IMG]

9. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

I'm really excited about the Concerta line because I have always admired Revel's products, but couldn't justify adorning a less-than-ideal room with such expensive speakers. When it comes to speaker manufacturers, I trust Revel the most because they really seem to know what they're doing. I like their design principles and scientific methodology. And, thanks to Harman, they have the resources to make it all happen. With many of the other companies, especially the "high-end" ones, I frequently get the sense that they have neither the resources nor the know-how, instead relying more on brand name and antiquated/unsound design paradigms.

Yes, I have bought into the Revel hype. [​IMG] I feel they're kind of like SVS, where all of the products offer outstanding performance.

10. Scott_N

Scott_N Second Unit

I own a Chrysler 300M and really like it and a 300C might be my next car but neither are a S class Mercedes-Benz in terms of quality and refinement. Maybe these speakers will offer a taste of the Revel sound at a much cheaper cost. Time will tell.

11. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Actually, if you look at Mercedes Benz reliability (quality) numbers in Consumer Reports lately, not so good. I'd take a BMW myself. [​IMG] Or a 300C.

I am also looking forward to the Concertas. Me, myself, and I though, am looking more foward to the F22 and C22, if ever they shall appear. [​IMG]

They got very favorable reviews at CES (CEDIA, HE?). One of the trade shows anyway...

Not made in China, btw. Mexico.

12. Scott_N

Scott_N Second Unit

Well I know someone with a S430 and he hasn't had any problems in the three years he's had it. The difference between his S430 and my 300M in terms of interior parts quality, how solid the construction is, and road noise isn't even close. But if I had the money for a S class I would go with a 7 series BMW which I like better instead. I didn't think Revel could build those speakers here in the USA for that price.

13. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

Well, after reading that member Aaron_Mum had heard the speakers at a dealer, I figured that the Concerta line was finally available. I moseyed on over to a dealer in an adjacent state and placed an order for a pair of M12's with the matching stands. I should have them next week. Revel is one of the very few brands that I would consider purchasing blind. Plus, I found out that the speaker stands are the exact same ones that the M22's use, so I can upgrade without reinvesting in stands if the M12's are unsatisfactory.

14. Aaron_Mum

Aaron_Mum Stunt Coordinator

Congrats on your purchase Vinh! They are a really nice speaker and you are not going to be dissapointed with purchasing them blind especially if you like Revel stuff in the first place.

At the demo I attended I spend quite a bit of time listening to the M12s rigged up for 2 channel (no sub) through an arcam player feeding an arcam integrated amp. Everyone who walked into the room was very positive about the sound and everyone commented on how much low end they had for a bookshelf. You can get away with not running a sub with them if you need to. Like I mentioned in the other thread they have a neutral sound and the guys from Revel that were there were very proud of them.

Post your impressions when you get them up and running!

15. Tony Runco

Tony Runco Auditioning

I have had my first experience with these speakers today. I went to the local "high end" audio shop and told the salesman that I was interested in the Paradigm mini monitors or a comparable set of speakers. I am putting together a home theater setup for my little corner of the house that I setup in my basement. My first purchase was a Dennon AVR 485. After listeing to the Paradigms I was prety set on them as they sounded nice to me, are the right size for my room, and are in my price range. The Revel M12s are a few hundred bucks more than the Paradigms but after listeing to them I am seriously considering saving up the extra money and buying the Revels. My good friend was with me and he has been into home theater for a while now. The one thing we both asked the saleman was if there was any sub running in the system because it seemed like a supprising ammount of bass for that size speaker. The sound we were listeing to was just the Revels alone and we were both impressed. I dont consider myself an expert on audio by any means but after listening to the Revels today I decided to give buying them some serious thought even though they are a little more than I was planning on spending. I will check back for any other reviews that you all might have on these speakers. Take care and have fun. Tony

16. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

Tony,

Good to hear that you were able to listen to them. Around my area (N.VA/DC/MD), Revel's market penetration seems to be nonexistant. A lot of dealers, but no speakers on display. I haven't received mine yet. The speaker stands are out of stock with an indefinite ETA.

17. Tony Runco

Tony Runco Auditioning

Vinh ..Yes i was really impressed with them..only thing is I got a price quote for a 5.1 system and it will be over 3K just for the speakers..for a working man with a wife and kids thats hard to justify..I think I might listen to the Paradigms again. They seem to be more in my price range...any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated..Tony

18. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

Agreed. Paradigm is always an excellent choice. Since you like both Paradigm and Revel, you would probably also like PSB. I would recommend listening to their Image line.