1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Revel B15 vs dual CS_Ultra

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris_Engel, Aug 29, 2001.

1. Chris_Engel

Chris_Engel Auditioning

I'm considering to buy either subwoofer. I have seen rave reviews about the Revel, I can buy it locally at my german dealer and demo it at home, it has outstanding controls to adapt it to a specific room and I don't need any external amps.
    As for the CS_Ultras, I would have to buy them "blind" in the USA and have them shipped to Luxembourg, but then they would make nice speaker stands for my rear speakers and I would expect them to be somewhat louder than the Revel, but harder to integrate in the room.
    Has anyone had the occasion to compare these subs? Thanks for any help.
    Chris

2. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

CS Ultras have vents in the top of the tube. There's a grill over the vents, but you wouldn't want to put anything on top of that.

3. Chris_Engel

Chris_Engel Auditioning

Thanks for the hint about the vents.
    I had hoped for answers about performance, sound quality and general pros and cons, but so far it is very quiet here.

4. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

>>>I'm considering to buy either subwoofer. I have seen rave reviews about the Revel, I can buy it locally at my german dealer and demo it at home, it has outstanding controls to adapt it to a specific room and I don't need any external amps.>> but harder to integrate in the room

5. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Chris,
    One other thing to consider regarding shipping. We've had some limited experience with a company called Bax Global, which does shipping to major airports very cheaply, and shipping to your door at rates still less than UPS.
    Customs issues can take some investigation as someone in the Phillipines found out but it might make things more affordable for you.
    If looking around your area and our site seems to indicate an SVS might be what you want, send us your address and nearest major airport and we can do an accurate shipping estimate. The CS-Ultra's just dropped in price a bit so maybe that's something to interest you?
    bis dann.
    Ron

6. Ariel

Ariel Stunt Coordinator

svs-ron,
    A bit off topic but since you mention Philippines,
    do you have a dealer or distributor in this country?
    thanks,

7. Chris_Engel

Chris_Engel Auditioning

I've scanned the articles from 3 german magazines. The scans are available on www.freedrive.com.
    Login: RevelB15
    Pass: guest
    The nearest airport is Luxembourg-Findel, then Bitburg.

8. Ron Stimpson

Ron Stimpson Stunt Coordinator

Ariel,
    No dealers but we have sold an SVS to someone in PI. He did have some trouble extracting it from the customs office there but eventually it worked out. Suffice it to say we can get stuff in most foreign countries fairly cheaply now, but customs offices seem to want to get their fingers in everything, depending on where you are.
    Chris E. We can run with that but if you send us your house address we can run an estimate both ways. Door to door would be more expensive but might ease customs handling. I'd like to think the Luxemburgers have gotten import/export down to an easy process but we've not shipped there yet.
    Ron

9. Chris_Engel

Chris_Engel Auditioning

I have now received my Revel B15. It is surprisingly small, yet it certainly meets my expectations. Bass reproduction is outstanding and I definitely don't need more, especially as I currently live in an appartment. It is really surprising what a good subwoofer can add to even an expensive audio system. I definitely recommend this sub for everyone.
    I still don't know if the CS_Ultra's would be even more impressive, but I must say I am a bit disppointed at SVS as I haven't received a shipping quote from them. Inaction also produces purchase decisions.

10. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Chris,
    Sorry about that. We process hundreds of e-mails a day and as with the best companies sometimes a note can get misplaced or, even lost on the customers end. Now and again a follow-up is warranted, as we even indicate on our site. Rest assured we did't wake up one day and decide hold out on Chris Engel.
    Not sure what happened in this case as I'm sure the request for a quote went to our shipping departement but it matters little now.
    Enjoy your Revel I'm sure it's a fine sub, thanks for expressing interest in the SVS line anyway.
    Ron Stimpson

11. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

The features of each are self-explantory. Not having read much objective performance data on either (I couldn't get the Revel pages), I'll take a guess based on the drivers/technology as to how they'd compare.
    It appears that the Revel driver has slightly less linear displacement than the combined linear Vd of two SVS Ultras.
    The Ultras, being a vented design, have the greatest damping of the driver around their tuning frequency (20Hz?), while the sealed Revel is approaching max excursion down that low.
    I would assume that the Revel, like all sealed subs which aspire to a maintain a "domestically acceptable" size, applies at least 6db of gain down low to counteract the inevitable roll-off of the driver in the cab. This eats up amp power, and would make 1000 watts more like 250 in practice.
    What this tells me is that the SVS combo would have appreciable greater dynamic headroom, and ultimate output, in the deep bass (below 30Hz).
    They'd probably both sound amazing up to their respective limits.

12. erikk

erikk Stunt Coordinator

Hey Chris;
    I'm sorry you never got the quotes. We sent them to you on Monday (I've forwarded you the note). It must have gotten lost in the ether.
    For your reference the quotes were:
    Dual CSU
    door to door $264
    door to airport (lux) $227
    Dual CSU and S1000
    door to door $279
    door to airport $238
    Again I'm sorry we missed the opportunity, I am sure you will love the Revel, I have heard good things.
    ------------------
    Erik K
    SV Subwoofers

13. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Chris,
    So we didn't forget you after all.
    Clearly it's "water under the bridge" by now but just in case you want to backtrack the note with your ISP (or perhaps you maintain more than one e-mail account?). Just in case we are having trouble getting notes to you, here's the actual text of the note that we sent:
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: "Chris" [email protected]
    Cc: "SVS - Ron S" [email protected]
    Sent: Monday, September 03, 2001 4:57 PM
    Subject: Re: Revel B15 vs dual CS_Ultra
    > Hey Chris;
    >
    > The quotes I got from Bax were as follows:
    >
    > Dual CSU
    > door to door $264 (Quote # 4457082)
    > door to airport (lux) $227 (Quote # 4457081)
    >
    > Dual CSU and S1000
    > door to door $279 (Quote # 4457084)
    > door to airport $238 (Quote # 4457083)
    >
    > If you opt for door to airport we have to inform you that you are entirely
    > responsible for determining any customs procedures, brokerage
    requirements,
    > etc. that are necessary on your end. Once Bax picks up the sub its
    entirely
    > on your shoulders and out of our hands.
    >
    > If you were interested all you would have to do is place the order on the
    > website, adding in "Additional Shipping Charges" from the following page:
    >
    > http://svsubwoofers.com/Merchant2/me...Store_Code=SSL
    >
    > When you check out you will need to choose the Bax International shipping
    > option.
    >
    > Erik K
    [Edited last by SVS-Ron on September 08, 2001 at 06:18 PM]

14. SkiingNinja

SkiingNinja Second Unit

0wned.
    Sorry. Couldn't help myself [​IMG]

15. Pep Guidote

Pep Guidote Agent

Ariel, Remember when RonS said SVS sent a sub over to someone in the Philippines? Well, that someone is me. If you'd like to hear my customs horror story just e-mail me.
    I don't know if still has to be said, but SVS customer service is very responsive. They'll do what they can from their end and then some. (Thanks Erik/Ron) But, try as they might, there will be people who'll want to get in the way.
    -Pep
    [Edited last by Pep Guidote on September 11, 2001 at 05:17 AM]