Reveivers with I link etc.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Billy Posey, May 3, 2005.

1. Billy Posey

Billy Posey Second Unit

I have a question that I have been wondering about concerning receivers and dvd players with I link or direct link connection for transferring dvd-audio and sacd signal in digital form. Which component is doing the decoding. The Dvd player or the Receiver? Or is the receiver just converting the digital signal back to analog?

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

The player sends the native digital signal along the i.Link connecttion to the receiver. (PCM for CD and DVD-V/A, and DSD for SACD.) Then yes, the receiver converts it all to analog. A lot of them do convert DSD then to PCM to do distance delays, BM, and any other DSP, then to analog.

3. Billy Posey

Billy Posey Second Unit

Thanks for answering Kevin, what I mean is it like a DD/DTS signal where it is sent to the receiver in digital form and then the receiver decodes it to the appropriate speakers or is it decoded into the 5.1 signals in the dvd player and then sent to the receiver in digital form via the I link?

I just noticed my spelling error in the title. I'm not sure if it can be edited.

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Yes: DD and DTS is all PCM. Goes to the receiver as PCM, and then the receiver decodes it. If i.Link is used, the DD and DTS decoders in the player are not used.