What's new

Reusing "-RW" DVDs With An RCA DVD recorder #DRC8030N. (1 Viewer)

ronsweet2

Grip
Real Name
Ron Sweet
Hello:
I have been using some Office Depot –RW 4x DVDs to record TV programs onto. For this, I use an RCA DVD recorder, model DRC8030N. I have about 25 or more DVDs with programs recorded onto them which I would like to erase (reformat) to be able to record new TV programs (or data/video content via my PC). To do this, I have tried to "erase disc" and "format disc" via the DVD recorder. It seems to erase the programs on there, however, it does NOT allow me to record new programs onto the same disc. Usually you get the error message "Disc Problem" or "No Disc".
So, next, I tried putting these DVDs into my PC and using Nero to reformat (full erase) the –RW’s. But once you do this, and try to put them back into the DVD Recorder, you get the same "Disc Problem" or "No Disc" errors. I have also tried this using different brands of RW’s, always with the same results.
My guess is that my DVD Recorder puts some type of encoding onto the disc that cannot be erased by the methods I am using. And I don’t think there is any problems with the discs I am using because when I burn data and video content onto them using my PC’s burner, I never have had a problem reformatting and reusing them again and again.
Is there something I can do differently so I can reformat these disks that have been recorded via my DVD Recorder so that I can reuse them again?
Also, there are times when I use my DVD Recorder to create "multi-session" discs. Usually this is recording two or three 1 hour programs on the same disc. But often times, my DVD Recorder peters out and will record one or two programs, but when you try to fill the disc with the final program, it no longer can read the disc! In addition, there are times when a finalized disc that once played just fine can no longer be read by the DVD Recorder. It usually shows as "Disc Problem". Is there a software or method I could try to "fix" or "repair" these disks so that the DVD Recorder can read them again?
I know the DVD recorder I am using is not "state of the art", but it’s all I can afford right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My first thought, considering the intermittent problems you mention, is to run a laser cleaning disc. I doubt that will solve the reusing RW discs problem though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks