RETURNER and TOKYO JOE

Discussion in 'DVD' started by David_Blackwell, Feb 2, 2004.

1. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

I have watched these two movies on DVD last week and I have reviews for both up at ENTERLINE MEDIA. RETURNER is a Japanese sci-fi movie that isn't a bad movie at all. TOKYO JOE is an old black and white movie with Humphrey Bogart that takes place in Tokyo, but it is mostly filmed in california except for some location shooting in Japan with someone standing in for Bogart. RETURNER and TOKYO JOE come out on DVD on Feb 10th from Columbia/Sony Pictures. So who are waiting for either movie to come out and have you seen them in one form or another?

The reviews are up at my site.

Enjoy the reviews.

Be Seeing You,
    David Blackwell

2. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I have Tokyo Joe on VHS, but I've never watched it. I didn't know it was due on DVD, but I'll keep an eye out for it. Thanks for the heads up.

Oh, and could you link your site? I don't have signatures on, if that's where you have your link now.

3. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I saw Returner on film at the Boston Fantastic Film Festival last October. It's more fun than it deserves to be; the slick direction makes up for a lot of the fairly silly script. Some pretty great action scenes (even if there's obvious cribbing from other movies going on), including one which is exhibit A for why a live-action Transformers movie just maybe might be made to work.

4. Chris Xolotl

Chris Xolotl Second Unit

E.T. go home!

[​IMG]

5. Jim Peavy

Jim Peavy Supporting Actor

The Returner preview on Sony/Tristar's new Godzilla DVDs really made me want to see it, though I've read some bad reviews since then. I was under the impression it was a fairly straightforward yakuza thriller with some matrix influence, not a full blown SF flick. I'll definitely put it in my netflix list.

6. David_Blackwell

7. Matt_P

Matt_P Second Unit

I reviewed Returner for digitallyOBSESSED! recently (the review will be up closer to release date), and I enjoyed it quite a bit. It is certainly not as bad as some have said, but has more style than substance. Sure, it quotes heavily from other sci-fi films, but if you enjoy sci-fi and anime in general, this is an easy recommendation. The DVD is pretty solid, as well, with a bunch of special features that are not listed on the back cover.

Stay tuned for my full review.

8. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

I really enjoyed this movie, I have had it on DVD for awhile now.
    Wonder how this R1 compares to the R0 from Universe?

9. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

Only the first pressing was R0. All subsequent pressings were R3. Just FYI.

10. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

That would explain why it's labeled R3. Didn't know it was only the first pressing though....
    transfer is OK, if the R1 has a good transfer, I'd consider the dble dip.

11. David_Blackwell

I know the R0/R3 from Hong Kong has some different features listed includinga DTS track (which the US version doesn't have).

Be Seeing You,
    David Blackwell