What's new

Return Ultra for 16-46+??? (1 Viewer)

Gary Thomas

Second Unit
Here's the deal: The Ultra is great...but after reading posts about the 16+ it got me wondering if I'm losing some "low end" capabilities.

Should I:

Keep the Ultra & Samson 700 for a total of $1285

or

Ship it back & get the 16-46+ & Samson 1000 for an out of pocket of $1150?

Will plugging a port or two on the Ultra powered by the Samson 700 solve the extension issue? Would I need to step up to a Samson 1000 to get the best output?

BTW, I have a very large room...5000cf.

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Gary,

At best it'd be a wash. More power for a slightly lower tuned, slighly less capable sub....vice less power to a more capable sub that's tuned a tick higher.

See the tossup? Figure in the time in boxing, UPS pickup etc and I think you would discover it not worth the trouble. And I think (maybe I missed your logic, I'm still on my first coffee), you forgot to account for shipping costs too. Shipping both ways on the Ultra and amp, plus paying for shipping of the new system too will add up quickly. Or were you planning on selling the Ultra locally and applying the discount we have now for CS-Plus buyers who are already SVS owners?

BTW the Ultra doesn't have an "issue" with that somewhat higher tune. As one recent review discovered, it has VERY strong output to the 14-15Hz range (when room reinforcement was in play). That's more, deeper bass than is on 99.9% of movie DVD sound tracks. Plus as you noted, if you wanted to exlore a deeper tune, you only need one of the "Port Blockers" we just about have ready to roll off the line. I believe we'll only charge a nominal fee for previous Ultra customers for this (to cover boxing, shipping) and adding just one (understanding you'll lose a bit of max SPL capability up higher, just as you would with a 16-46CS-Plus) will put you at just about the same tune of the bigger sub.

If you ever added a second sub it would probably be worthwhile to get an amp with a bit more power (like the S-1000) to better max out the sub but that and eventually adding an equalizer for smoother response and the adjustable subsonic filter is the upgrade path I'd follow. Nevermine one CS-Ultra is more clean, accurate bass than about 99% of HT enthusiasts have already.

But that's me. We aim to please.

(And as we say to employees using the company rest room....

"You aim too, please.")

Ron

Gary Thomas

Second Unit
Ron: Your assessment matches what I've been thinking. With the Ultra plugged it seems as though I can get similar or better response down to 16hz and have much better response from say 20hz and up.
BTW, I did figure in the cost of shipping as I've got a brother "in the business", so I can ship it for less than $50.00.
Plus...having a sub named "ultra" has a little more ring to it than a sub named "+" ;)

Gary Thomas

Second Unit
One last(I think) question...

What would the result be of stepping up to the Samson 1000 from the 700 with a single Ultra?

Would the additional watts only come into play at top volumes? Would it help push out the lower frequencies, assuming I was using a plug or two?

Thanks!

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi Gary,

The additional voltage from the S1000 would only come *into play* when the S700 has reached it's limits. You could expect an approx 2dB increase in max output levels by stepping up the the kilowatt Samson.

TV

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks