Return to the Planet of the Apes (Animated Series) Already Shipping from Amazon

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by RoyWilbury, Sep 25, 2006.

1. RoyWilbury

RoyWilbury Stunt Coordinator

Despite the fact that the apparent release date for the standalone 2-disc release of the complete POTA animated series is October 3rd, Amazon.com is already showing it as in stock and shipping. I ordered it on September 21, it shipped on Sept. 22, and I received it on Sept. 25.

2. Demis G

Demis G Second Unit

Yeap! Amazon did the same thing with Voltron sets

3. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

I just placed my order for all the new content from the 14-disc "Ape" head last night (the four sequels plus the animated series, I already owned the 2-disc sets of the original film & the remake plus the 4-disc set of the live-action series) and it's in the "shipping soon" stage.

I don't want to turn this into another "Ape Head" discussion but I'll say that even though I thought the ape head was way cool I'm glad those of us who already had all the previously-released content in that set could buy the new stuff seperately.

4. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

So looks like this may not be a simple re-package of the two discs from the Apes head.

I remember reading that the picture quality was not that great in the 14-disc box set and as such I was pleasantly surprised when I watched the episodes on my 2-disc set. The picture quality is on par with some of the best transfers of animated television of the era.

Still, I haven't actually seen the discs from the box set so I didn't think much of it.

I was reading some posts at the Yahoo "Apes" discussion group POTA and apparantly someone there that bought the set also bought the new release and is claiming that Fox actually remastered the eps between the 14-disc boxset release and the 2-disc individual release.

Remember when the set was announced for a March 28th release alongside the 14-disc set? When Fox removed the individual release from the schedule this is what Gord at TVshowsonDVD said they said (emphasis mine):

I remember reading the "remastered" thing and thinking that it was just an inaccurate use of the term at the time, I figured it meant that Fox didn't have time to design the packaging and press the discs in time for the March 28, 2006 release.

If this is true (and all signs point to it being true) it looks like Fox buried some substandard transfers on the box set as a "quick fix" but knew the quality wasn't acceptable as the "main event" of an individual release.

Just a couple days ago I was looking at my 14 "Apes" discs with some regret over not having them in the "Apes" packaging but those regrets are long gone. A big rubber ape head is cool but I always lean in the direction of actual DVD content and I'm glad I have what I have.

Still, I think Fox owes it to those that did buy the box set to send them the discs with the remastered episodes.

5. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    I received my 2-disc set yesterday and while I haven't had a chance to look at the episodes yet, I am glad to hear the video quality is okay. This is purely a nostalgic release for me, as I watched these episodes when I was a kid and really enjoyed them (especially when the female pilot is abducted and the creatures call her "Ooosa"). It's not a great moment in animation history, or even Apes history, but it's a fun document of a fun show. I remember thinking back in 2001 (after the release of the awful Tim Burton remake and its subsequent DVD release, and the release of the live-action TV show) that the animated show would never be released, because the best window for its release was gone. So I am glad to see this is on DVD at last.