What's new

"Return of the Living Dead part 2" DVD - October 5th (1 Viewer)

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
I said it Justin, and I stand by it. There's nothing even remotely good about ROTLD3. Boy's girlfriend gets killed, so he turns her into a zombie by taking her back to the military lab. The whole thing is preposterous, even for a zombie movie. Again, my opinion. At least ROTLD2 offers some cheesy fun and doesn't take itself seriously. ROTLD3 offers none of that, and instead deals with this silly story. If you like it, I'm happy for you. At least you were able to get some enjoyment out of it. I sure didn't. But differing opinions make the world go round.

The original is clearly and easily the best of the series. Great fun. I'll be buying it and ROTLD2. But I'll have to pass on ROTLD3.

zombies wearing "Thriller" jackets and getting fried by cheesy blue electricity!!
Agreed! Cheesy, b-movie fun.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
There's nothing even remotely good about ROTLD3.
With the exception of Mindy Clarke, I would assume.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

ROTLD3 is a cool little movie. I used to never miss it when it played on cable. Strangely, I have yet to watch my DVD. :p)

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Yes, Melinda Clarke is hot. But she was trashy looking in that film, though she was supposed to be. You ought to see her in Return To Two Moon Junction. I suppose I'm in the minority about ROTLD3. But I just couldn't stand it.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Let me say that I do like ROTLD3 (even though I hate calling it that) just don't like the commercial use of the title. If it would've been titled something else then folks like me would take to it better.

Yuzna completely abandoned the tone set up by O'Bannon in the first film. Whereas O'Bannon did his best to make his zombies totally different to any other in the genre, Yuzna went with the same ol' same ol'. Slow, dumb zombies...even the FX looked bad. William Stout said it best in reference to sequels, it takes more than the title alone to make it enjoyable.

Now ROTLD2 had *many* faults, yes, but at least it attempted to stay within the confines of O'Bannon's universe.

Beau

Supporting Actor
One thing that I thoguht up of that I don't like about ROTLD3, is that when someone would have their brains eaten, then they would turn into zombies, which is unlike the first where suicide, scuz, the paramedics and cops didn't when they were eaten,(though trash turned into a zombie casue it was still raining trioxin after she died). I still like ROLTD3 though. ROTLD2 is only wroth watching the scenes with Thom Matthews and James Karen in it, I'll give it that.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
ROTLD2 certainly had some faults. For one, they used the exact same two guys in the original. Two, they basically did the same thing to start the chain of events as they did in the original. Except this time it was the boys opening the can. But I still like it.

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter
Add me to the list of those who didn't like #2, but thought #3 was great(yes, great). The fact that they called it ROTLD3 had all the fans expecting a film similar in tone to the first two. Instead, they got a completely unrelated, serious zombie flick and were disappointed(Halloween 3 had the same problem). The only thing wrong with the film is its title...

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Hmm! I'm just eagerly awaiting for the original on DVD. It is by far the best of the 3. I love that thing. I'm addicted to it. It's been on StarZ lately.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
C'mon my HTF brothers, let's get on WB's butt and tell them we want part 2 on DVD. There's still time for them to fit it onto 2003's schedule. Yes, sign the petition but drop them a letter as well. Their address;

Warner Home Video

4000 Warner Blvd.

Burbank, CA 91522

We can do it!

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Hey guys, click on the 'ROTLD2' link in my signature, there's a banner for the campaign that you can add to your web sites!

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
In tonight's on-line chat with Warner Brothers (hosted by Home Theater Forum), they announced that "Return of the Living Dead part 2" will be released on DVD next year!

Beau

Supporting Actor
That's good. Hopefully it has SOME special features. AT LEAST a commentary, the other 2 movies have commentaries. But because it's from Warner, does that mean a snapper case? That won't go good on the shelf with the other two. Anyways, good news.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Hey guys, I spoke with ROTLD2 star James Karen today. He again said he'd love to participate with the DVD (and in turn, he'd ask Thom Mathews if he'd wish to join in.) I've asked Ron to pass along my offer to Warner to make this happen, we'll see.

Beau

Supporting Actor
That's cool to hear. Sience it doesn't come out till next year, you would think that would be quite enough time for there to be as much done with this a possible.:)

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Just came across this page;
http://efilmcritic.com/feature.php?feature=257
Scroll down and you'll see the have a December 31, 2004 release date for ROTLD2 on DVD.
Now, I've never heard of a release date announced for a title a little over a YEAR before the actual release date so this is new to me. I have not seen this mentioned anywhere else so treat this as a rumor for now.
Speaking of rumors, I have also heard that Warner Brothers might be releasing ROTLD2 *full frame only*! Again, this has not been confirmed so don't get too worried. I can't imagine Warner doing this as they've been doing very well in the OAR department for a while now.

Pat Michaels

Auditioning
Sometimes WHV has been known to use the 12/31 dates for each year as a tentative street date. It could come any time before that, or even be delayed until 2005, depending on the schedule.

Also, I believe 12/31/2004 is a Friday, and while I like the film a lot, I don't think Warners would give it a special Friday street date rather than a regular Tuesday one...

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Boy, somebody has really been messing around with this movie...

I was watching ROTLD 2 on one of the movie channels last night and was struck by an obviously new addition to the film. No, not music being different (more on that in a sec)....they've added narration at the beginning of the movie! Some guy simply explains about the Trioxin gas, etc. I kept thinking "What the...?"

Sure enough, I heard quite a few changes in regards to the music in the film. A good bit of material has been removed...for example when the zombies rise from the grave, the music was ripping off the "Trioxin Theme" from the first film, now there's new music that features some awfully cheesy synth stuff.

There are other music changes to be sure and any fan of the film will notice them rather easily. I can only assume that this new version will be what we get on DVD. Sorry guys.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Warner Brothers participated in an online chat with www.hometheaterforum.com tonight and they announced that "Return of the Living Dead part 2 will be 16x9 (widescreen) and will be coming out in time for (this) Halloween" and that "there will be a commentary" though they didn't say who will be on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks