What's new

Return of the Living Dead III (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I've often read (with varying degrees of jealousy) accounts of discs found before the official street date, but I've never been lucky enough to come across one. Until today, that is. ROTLD3 is supposed to street in two weeks, but my local not-to-be-named B had a couple of copies of it in stock today! I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but I can confirm one thing for those who were hoping reports were wrong and it would be unrated: it isn't. As Trimark promised, it's the R-rated version. I know that's a make-or-break issue for a lot of you, but I didn't hesitate to buy a copy. Also, the back of the box only mentions a director's commentary and a production commentary. Unless Mindy Clarke is part of the latter, I think that feature evaporated.
A couple of updates, now that the disc is in the machine (I don't have a chance to watch it right now, so no review):
There is no insert included. You get a Trimark catalog, and that's it. The chapter stops are listed on the back of the box, though. More importantly, the Special Features menu lists the second commentary not as a "production" commentary but a cast commentary. So, there's Mindy.
[Edited last by Greg_S_H on August 14, 2001 at 08:53 PM]

Drew Mertz

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I saw it on the shelf out here too! I see street dates get broke every week, I really don`t think the studios care. As long as they get there money, they couldn`t care less when people buy them.

Will K

Screenwriter
R-rated version? Oh well, Trimark just lost a sale. I don't care what extras they put on it. Totally stupid!
------------------
unratedbanner.JPG

"We'd better not risk a frontal assault. That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur 93.2 AD

Thomas Hart

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I saw Return III at my local store today too, but got "Faust: Love of the Damned" instead.
Curiously, "Faust", while released by the same company (Trimark) and even the same director (Brian Yuzna) as "ROTLD3", isn't rated. No unrated, no NR, no nothing on the box. I wonder why they couldn't have just done the same thing for "ROTLD3".

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I do have a DVD-ROM. Why?
Does anyone know of any specific cuts I can look for? I remember reading in another thread something about a guy's face being ripped open from the lip to the neck, but it cuts away before it gets to the neck in the R version. Would this be during the scene where Julie comes out and tears into the gang in the sewer?
Also, it'll be interesting to see if Mr. Yuzna addresses the cuts in the commentary. From the brief part I've heard, it sounds like both tracks are going to be interesting. I listened to just the commentary over Mindy's nude scene ( :) ), and that brief little bit was somewhat illuminating. The first one, as the "director's commentary" label implies, was just Brian Yuzna. The second one featured Mindy and Tom Rainone. There may be some additional people on this track, but they were the only two featured over this scene.
[Edited last by Greg_S_H on August 15, 2001 at 12:04 AM]

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
R-rated version? Oh well, Trimark just lost a sale.
Lions Gate announced that the DVD would be R-rated, um, let's see... a few days after it was announced.
There's still plenty of gore in the R-rated cut, and you don't lose any scenes with Mindy.
biggrin.gif

------------------
mynewsig.jpg

Link Removed - DVD Reviewer
Link Removed / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm having some difficulties making screen captures. I'm using the Mediamatics DVD player. I get to a scene I want and I hit the Print Screen button. I then go into Paint and paste it. So far so good. I have to save it as a bitmap, or nothing shows up. It looks fine as a bitmap, but the minute I close the DVD player, the image totally disappears. I just don't get it. Any ideas?
I downloaded PowerDVD, but it doesn't let you adjust your brightness or take screen captures in the trial version. If you know of another DVD player that does let you do these things, I'll download it.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
quote: Lions Gate announced that the DVD would be R-rated, um, let's see... a few days after it was announced.[/quote]To us, yes. It was solicited to retailers, however, as unrated.
[edit -- substituting the perhaps-not-entirely correct 'uncut' with 'unrated'; Trimark's Dead Alive shows that the two aren't always interchangable...]
------------------
My DVD list | My personal site
[Edited last by Adam Tyner on August 15, 2001 at 07:14 AM]

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I did not know that there was an unrated version of this film, as I've only seen the R Rated. Very upsetting! I just cancelled my order at Amazon. First Williw Wonka now this, hey, I'm finally starting to get my finances in order.

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
How less entertaining is the R-rated cut compared to the unrated???
What if it's true that Trimark don't own the rights to the unrated version?
Is it worth missing a great special edition because of of this?
Just asking...
------------------
~ Stud. Polyt. ~ Artur Meinild ~

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I've been TRYING to tell you guys all along it was only the R rated version. I've been in contact with Lions Gate the entire time and was told this repeatedly.
They could only release the R version.
Anyway, there isn't THAT much of a difference between both versions. A couple of seconds of gore here and there doesn't mean a whole lot to me.
------------------
My DVD collection--> http://members.tripod.com/~evilbaby/DVD_Collection.html

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
Can someone, in SPOILER MODE of course, list the differences between the R Rated, and the unrated versions?
------------------
rfloto1.gif

Christina_DQ

Stunt Coordinator
Well there is is only a 1 minute difference between the 2 versions but alot of the more gruesome/graphic shots were cut.
SPOILERS- though thers tons of bits missing so i can't describe every single shot ect censored but.........
The doctor getting stabbed in the back repeatedly near the starting is cut heaviily.
Also up close gruesome shots of a doctor after the attack letting you know he's "infected" and will become a zombie are completly gone.
The cop getting a crowbar shoved through his face + brain eating is cut from what i remember.
Also the lip of one of the gang members getting ripped off is gone-it only shows the lip streching,then cuts before it rips.
+ Mindy mutilating herself was toned down as well.
Theres alot more i'm sure,but it's been awhile since i saw either version & now really with my unrated VHS didn't get eaten up
frown.gif

END OF SPOILERS
Guess i'll have to buy another copy & just may check oout the dvd,though i really hate censorship!!!!!!
+ i don't know how Trimark wouldn't have the rights to the unrated version when it's released by them + both versions where released by them as well,so whats up?
[Edited last by Christina_DQ on August 15, 2001 at 08:20 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks