What's new

Return Of The King Dvd (1 Viewer)

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Not to doubt you, or the source, but I remember the same early reports last year for TTT saying it would be out in an earlier time frame than FOTR, but it panned out to be released in the same pattern as the first film. I honestly can't see New Line deviating from a proven success formula.

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
Since there won't be a theatrical release to tie into, there actually might be reasons why the DVD release schedule of RotK could be different from FotR and TTT. I'm not saying this means that they actually WILL change the release schedule, just that the factors that influence a decision like this will be somewhat different.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
I'm guessing the ROTK box will be blue, since the packaging for the ROTK toys are blue as well. The FOTR and TTT toy boxes are green and red, respectively the same as the DVDs.

David Fisher

Stunt Coordinator
isnt there going to be a trilogy dvd set coming out tho?
I hope that the trilogy set is nothing more than the EEs sold together as a package. I like the individual EE sets, and I wouldn't want to see them throw all twelve (?) discs into another package. I would be a little upset if they went back and revisited the LoTR trilogy anytime soon with new special features. I might be interested in seeing a new high-def transfer in five years, but that's it.

Clay-F

Stunt Coordinator
I've heard rumors of a box set with MORE footage added back in.

While I really love the movies, a line needs to be drawn somewhere.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
I buy the regular and extended editions of each film. The only way I would buy another set of them...

...as it's been hinted at before (maybe wishful thinking?) that Peter Jackson may go back and do an ultimate cut of the film, where they're all edited together as a (VERY) long epic...

...I would buy that as long as the special features weren't just dupes from the previous releases.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
It has been said recently by New Line that there are currently no plans for some type of "uber-edition" release after the EE for ROTK. (I don't think this excludes packaging all three EE's together.)

They did not say that they will never revisit the film on home video again. Of course they will at some point. PJ has commented on changing the Gollum in FOTR to match the CG they used in TTT if they do another version in the future, like a new cut(s) for HD-DVD.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I think all of us have learned there is no such thing of any "ultimate edition" DVD of any movie.

Joshua_W

Second Unit
The schedule for the final film might altered since the series will be completed and Wingnut won't be working on the "next" LOTR film. Like, how after FOTR was released, they still putting together TTT, and when TTT was released, they were still putting together ROTK.

It's also likely they were spacing out the home video releases in order to better tie in with the theatrical releases of the next film.

If PJ decides to revisit his LOTR films, I suspect it would probably be a while before it happens, anyway.

And I don't see any problems with Gollum in FOTR. We barely even see him, so I don't think it should be a problem.

StevenA

Second Unit
PJ has commented on changing the Gollum in FOTR to match the CG they used in TTT if they do another version in the future
Shudder:frowning:

I love Gollum in Fellowship. He does look different from the later version but those brief scenes work perfectly. Let it be, please!

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Isn't it amazing that we can start a thread on a DVD of a Movie [rant]that hasn't even been released theatrically yet![/rant]

I love this hobby!

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks