What's new

Return of the King DVD reviews? (1 Viewer)

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
Eh, what a surprise, Bracke poops on yet another popular film. It's rather routine.

Honestly though, I'm not excited about reviews... we know what we'll be getting... I don't expect any surprises.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I'm waiting for the digital bits review 9actually I'm more interested in part 2 of the Panic Room DVD production Diary that digital bits is also putting up very soon).

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I think the people at DVD File get confused sometimes and think they are movie reviewers. I never read their "reviews" of the films themselves. Who cares what they think about the film? I go there to read their reviews of the technical aspects of the film, which are usually spot on.

As a matter of fact, I believe all DVD reviews should concentrate soley on the technical aspects, extras, and transfer. That's all I am ever interested in when I read them.:)

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Same with me, Tino. A brief plot outline would be enough for me, if I want a movie review i'll check out Ebert or Berardinelli...or Weinberg. :)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I like it when DVD reviewers provide a review of the film itself. It comes in handy if it's a film I haven't heard of, or one that I avoided in theaters. It makes sense to provide the whole package. I just don't usually care for Mr. Bracke's style, and sometimes I wonder if he actually saw the film he's reviewing, given the factual errors that sometimes creep in.

And one wish I have regarding all DVD reviewers is this: While the review of the film is appreciated, there's no need for it to be longer than the review of the A/V aspects.

Look at the way our own David Boulet reviews film. He takes the time to let you know the equipment he used, his viewing distance, how detailed the image looks on his FP setup (I particularly enjoy the fact that he'll mention whether the image looks film-like from his viewing distance or not), if there are compression artifacts, he'll mention WHICH artifacts popped up, etc. It sure beats reading a two-page review of the film followed by two short paragraphs saying "audio was thumping, video was great".

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member

Actually, I think that this is a bigger problem with the Digital Bits reviews. They go more indepth with their opinion of the film, which is why I prefer DVDFile's reviews, even though I don't always agree with their tastes in films.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I thought I'd drop in here to answer the various e-mails and PMs I've received since last night. After a 12 hour work day I returned home to find the screener waiting on me and I'm getting ready to start it up in minutes. Since I haven't seen the film before I'll naturally have to watch it before reading it but the review will be up by midnight. As I said a year ago, I haven't read the books and I wasn't a huge fan of the previous two films (which I watched over the weekend) so hopefully I won't be beaten too bad. :b

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
I've had the title for about almost a month now...looks and sounds awesome...(although its not the final release...film is spread on two discs...)

Mike

Kami

Screenwriter
Yes, the video quality is excellent for a 200 minute film on a single DVD-9 - big pat on the back to New Line there. I know the EE is going to look so much better though! :)

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
Just got my copy in NYC. :D :D :D When I walked into the store there where about 15-20 other people waiting to get ROTK also. Worker was pricing & handing em out straight from the box.

Joe

Andy Patrizio

Stunt Coordinator
New Line is gonna have a fit if there's a retailer in NYC selling them already... better not say who it is if you like them. ;)

Dannie

Stunt Coordinator
i got mines today also from a certain nyc dvd store! lol probably the same one most others here got it at! hheeh! but ya i didnt get it when it first came in! i got it after i saw the media screenign for Troy

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher

Thats why I didn't give out the name. If any member wants, they can e-mail me or PM me & I will give him/her the info.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I go to that "downstairs" store in NYC as well.

Most studio titles are on the shelves 3-4 weeks
before release.

I'm surprised that they have been able to do this
for as long as they have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks