Return of the Killer Tomatoes -- 4/2/02!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam Tyner, Jan 7, 2002.

1. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

I've never sat down and formulated a definitive top ten list of my favorite movies of all time, but if I were to do so, I'm fairly confident Return of the Killer Tomatoes would be on there somewhere. Despite being one of the most popular choices from Anchor Bay's poll of most desired New World titles over two long years ago, they seemed to have little interest in releasing it on a shiny 5" disc. At long last, that finally seems to have changed. Amazon is now listing it as coming on 4/2/02, though no special features or other details are provided.

Very few comedies hold up as well to repeat viewings as Return of the Killer Tomatoes, and I'm anxiously awaiting the opportunity to put away my VHS copy -- one of just a handful of videos I still bother keeping around -- and enjoy one of my favorites in a much higher quality format.

2. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

I am floored that someone else remembers this movie. Its a sheer test of will to make it all of the way through this gem [​IMG]
    It sure fits the "So bad its good" category with me.
    Dean

3. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

I'm surprised anyone would see it as "so bad, it's good". Return of the Killer Tomatoes isn't a movie that's hysterical because of the ineptitude of its filmmakers, like Troll II. It's a comedy and was never intended to be anything else. I found it just as funny -- if not more -- than UHF or The Naked Gun. I've watched this movie probably twenty or thirty times since it was released, and I've yet to tire of it.

The original Attack of the Killer Tomatoes also seems to be misunderstood, often by people who haven't watched it, unaware that it's an over-the-top parody of '70s disaster movies. How anyone could watch the musical number with the army and think it's serious is beyond me. Return very much outclasses the original in pretty much every possible way, though.

4. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

So when the heck is the original "Attack Of The Killer Tomatoes" gonna be on DVD??? It's the only one that hasn't been on disc yet; all the sequels were on laserdisc (got "Strike Back" and "Eat France" for $6.88 each at Camelot Music!)

5. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

Jesse - same here, though I paid $12.88 for those two LDs at Camelot. If I remember correctly, Buena Vista's holding onto the original, Anchor Bay has the first sequel, and Fox has the last two. I'm not sure if Anchor Bay still has the sort of relationship with Disney that they enjoyed at one time, but my rather unrealistic hope is that Return would sell enough copies for AB to license the original from Buena Vista.

6. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    Heck yeah, Return of the Killer Tomatoes! My favorite scene is when, two of the cast members are told the film is running out of money, so they have to start using 'product placement'. I love it when Clooney sneaks in various products in the shots

7. Butch C

Butch C Second Unit

A Joe Bob Briggs classic...movie is the best at lampooning low budget flicks...on a low budget. Cannot wait...Clooney should be prouder of this than Batman and Robin

8. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

heh whoops, I was talking about the original in my first post. What I get for reading too fast I guess :b. I pretty much agree with you Adam, the second was much better.

Dean

9. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

Mmmmmm, Karen Mistal! [​IMG]
    Now, alongside my "Cannibal Women in the Avacado Jungle of Death" DVD, my collection is complete!
    -Lyle J.P.

10. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

According to DVDFile, it will be 1.33:1 only.