What's new

Return of the Joker Uncut (1 Viewer)

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
Batman" DVDs coming in 2002. The original cut of "Return of the Joker" with the intact flashback sequence will be out, along with the "Batman & Mr. Freeze: Subzero" feature and the "World's Finest" episodes. As for the big one - the animated series, the article says "WB did say if the interest is there, (season) box sets are highly possible".
Taken from www.darkhorizons.com/news

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
The original cut of "Return of the Joker" with the intact flashback sequence will be out
Are we sure it will really be the original cut? A lot more was removed than just a single flashback sequence.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
From the chat on Tuesday:
BATMAN & MR. FREEZE: SUBZERO, BATMAN BEYOND: ROTJ ORIGINAL CUT and THE BATMAN/SUPERMAN MOVIE and BATMAN THE ANIMATED SERIES are all in our Family Group's plans for next year.
------------------
My DVD list | My personal site

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
I know that Batman: Mask of the Phantasm was released OAR. I don't know what the OAR of Sub Zero is, but I believe that Return of the Joker was also widescreen.
Will these animated releases be in their OAR?
------------------
rfloto1.gif

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Actually, Mask of the Phantasm was originally direct to video, and later bumped to theatrical. Over half the animation was done with 1.33:1 in mind, and I find the widescreen version cramped. I'd say that if you asked Paul Dini, OAR is 1.33:1. I met him shortly before it came out at ComicFest, and his presentation on the genesis of the film was fascinating
Of course, both formats are always good!
Jeff Kleist

James T

Screenwriter
That's good news to me!
Jean McCurdy(I think that's her name) was in charge of a whole bunch of WB cartoons, BB: ROTJ included and said that they would strongly consider the release of the uncut version on DVD...then she got fired...then I lost hope...but BB:ROTJ in 2002 is certainly good news

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Actually, Mask of the Phantasm was originally direct to video, and later bumped to theatrical. Over half the animation was done with 1.33:1 in mind, and I find the widescreen version cramped. I'd say that if you asked Paul Dini, OAR is 1.33:1. I met him shortly before it came out at ComicFest, and his presentation on the genesis of the film was fascinating
Yeah, I remember seeing Mask of the Phantasm in theaters and it always struck me as having a soft look to it, sort of like the image had been shown under a magnifying glass. When I got the VHS, it actually looked a good deal sharper. The dvd seems the same: the widescreen version is soft like the theatrical presentation. I always did wonder if this had to do with the film being altered from its original direct-to-video status.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
O' this is definitely good news! I'm really glad Warner has the guts to release ROTJ uncut. I wonder if Paul Dini and the group will record a new commentary so that it will fit with this version..
confused.gif
In any case I'm thrilled. As for Sub-Zero it was a direct-to-video release, just like Phantasm was suppose to be, so my guess is that it's OAR is probably 133:1. I believe that it was done by the same Japanese studio as ROTJ so they might have animated them in a wider format, but that would only be a guess.
As for the original series, is there a petition started up for this yet? Chris
------------------
Star Wars: http://www.ig88-.net
patriot.gif

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Online petitions are worthless, IMO.
I recently received an email from someone who has produced several high-profile video releases. He was passing some info along to me some info confirming some new activity in the area of a certain series of DVD releases that had previously been stagnant. He listed reasons why the studio had reconsidered and decided to move ahead on these releases. One of the reasons he listed was the large response a certain online petition had received.
Then again, there are dozens of other online petitions with large responses which seem to accomplish nothing, at least not so far.
They may be worthless 90% of the time, but sometimes they can definitely make a difference.

Brian Cruz

Agent
FYI, Mask of the Phantasm, Sub-Zero, Return of the Joker and the new Justice League series are all animated 4:3, so any widescreen presentation involves matting the top and bottom of the picture. Although none of them were animated in widescreen, they were all animated to allow for widescreen.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Brian, you are correct in that they are all "animated to allow for widescreen". But Justice League was specifically composed for the WS presentation. They pitched it as a WS show, and convinced the network to buy it that way. It's drawn with WS in mind, top-to-bottom. Any DVD showing it otherwise won't be OAR!!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It's drawn with WS in mind, top-to-bottom. Any DVD showing it otherwise won't be OAR!!
I disagree with that... have you watched any of the full screen presentations? I think (and this is just my opinion) it looks a heck of a lot better framing wise. No tips of heads chopped off, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks