Return my Sunfire Cinema Seven export edition?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Conrad_T, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Conrad_T

Conrad_T Auditioning

A few weeks ago, I ordered from Audiogon an open box Sunfire
    Cinema Seven(200 watts per channel)-(7 channels). Since I paid by check it took more than two weeks to clear.

I received a brand new amp last Friday (the receipt shows it
    was ordered from Snohomish, Washington(Sunfire headquarters) just a day after my check cleared). Warranty card inluded.

When I tried to plug the unit, the power chord is 2-prong only. The enclosed manual is 3-prong(I plan to plug it to
    my 3-prong PS Audio outlet which is 3-prong). Also I noticed that the serial number on the box does not match the serial number of the amp. Serial number on the receipt
    which was handwritten matches the amplifier.

So I compared everything from the manual and the difference is only the power connection and the serial number.

Question: What's the diferrence between the US edition and the Export edition(which I got)?

More facts: I don't have a speaker yet, so I cannot test it, when I plug it, the meter goes to 400 joules which
    is what the manual says.
    My pre-pro is used Lexicon MC-1 which I bought 2 years ago,
    hopefully it is still working(never used since I bought).
    I am planning to buy Paradigm speakers. If it doesn't match
    to my set up, please comment. 70%ht/30% music. Music is
    oldies (beatles, DC5, zombies, country - no classical)

2. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Everything you describe sounds pretty ligit. Sorta of an open box buy maybe since the sr.# on box an amp are different. As long as the amp is designed for 110 or switched 110/220, I see no problem. It also sounds like someone tossed in a two prong power cord instead a three . The two prong should work fine plugged in to your power source or you could always swap it out for a three prong. Call Carver to register your warranty and all unanswered questions.

3. Conrad_T

Conrad_T Auditioning

Thanks, on your reply. I contacted Sunfire Office and
    talk to Randy on their Service department and he told me
    that the difference (between export and US edition) is
    just the voltage plus the binding post may be different). Inside electronics are the exactly the same.

I am keeping my unit.

Since I got a 110 volts equipment, he told me that mine
    in Not an export edition. Their export edition is 220V
    and 240V.