Retrofitting LCD mount for speakers?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Dave*R, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Dave*R

Dave*R Auditioning

May 27, 2005
    I'm trying to mount my Paradigm Titans to my entertainment center, and I'm having a heck of a time findng what my situation calls for. Here's my problem:

1. The entertainment center is not wide enough to accomodate the Titans (v. 4)and the cc-170 and the 37" plasma TV.

2. The right speaker is positioned in an archway leading to another room, thus no wall behind which to mount.

3. Left speaker is rather close to the wall, and entertainment center is in the corner (the hypotenuse of the triangle, I guess you could say), which leaves a difficult to use triangular space for a speaker stand. 12" at its widest.

4. Stands are a bad idea right now as I have a 1 year old who could already wreak havoc, as well as cats who are pretty clumsy.

What I've been trying to find, to no avail, is a way to mount them to the top of the entertainment center and have arms that swivel so the speaker can swing to a position just outside of the entertainment center. This only seems to exist for TVs.

So I checked out a mount for computer LCD monitors and found one rated to support 26 pounds. It's not pretty, but I don't care. The only problem is then mounting my speakers to it. The Titans have two 60mm holes in the back for mounting. Has anyone mounted speakers this way before?

2. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Feb 1, 2002
    Doesn't seem too hard. I dunno how those speakers look but maybe you could mount a piece of wood to the back of the speakers using those two holes, then mount that wood onto the LCD stand.

If it says 26lbs, and the titans weigh less than that, then I think it should work. Though it may not be all that stable for a wall mount, it might work ok.

I would be a little afraid of drilling new holes into the speakers since u could go through the crossover... (not knowing if it's mounted on the back or on the bottom of the box)

I guess an option B would be to "hang" the speakers from the ceiling with wire and those white plastic ceiling drywall hang screws.