What's new

RETRO New Order (1 Viewer)

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Does anyone else have this yet? Apparently it came out on Monday in the UK, I've just found it in HMV and grabbed it for the princely sum of £27.99

Its a 4 disc set (with a free 5th disc if you hurry) designed to match the 4 disc Joy Division Heart And Soul box from a few years back. Its not made it to a CD player yet here, so I can't comment on sound quality, but the tracklist looks really good, and the box is as gorgeous as you'd expect. Its laid out with each of the four CDs being curated by a different 'celebrity' fan; a Pop one with a really good combination of stuff, a Fan one with all the non-single stuff that the fans love (In A Lonely Place, All Day Long etc), a Club one with dance mixes, and a Live one with concert tracks. The fifth bonus CD is a bit random, but worth hunting for even just for the full 17-minute version of Elegia if nothing else.

Like I said, I'll know more when I've heard it, but its great so far.

Michael_T

Second Unit
I ordered this from www.ab-cd.com since they tend to have very good service in the States with imports - and they indicated it came with a fifth disc. I would have ordered with www.amazon.co.uk (since it was less expensive when doing currency conversion) but their description did not mention that there was a fifth disc. Oh well.
My order should be filled and shipped very soon from what I understand.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i was very worried about this when a while ago. i'm *so* wantin' to make sure i get that extra disc. :)
michael - can you confirm that they said it would come with the extra disc? if so, and you're happy with their service, then i'll order from ab-cd.com.
thx,
ted
[edit] never mind michael. "EDITION BONUS CD WILL BE SUPPLIED WITH INITIAL ORDERS ONLY!! ... " i guess it helps if i go to the website you referenced. :b
btw - guess what i just ordered? thx for the tip!

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm... if it was a comprehensive box set like the J.D. one, I'd be all over it. As it is, I've got everything on discs 1 & 2, some of disc 3 (and probably most of the other mixes are weak) and just not interested enough in the live material.

But yeah, that full version of Elegia is very tempting.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
What's the tracklisting? And when does this come out in the US? I hear either next week (would make a swell Xmas gift) or, more disappointingly, January 7. And does the US version come with the 5th disk?

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Well, for a start, though I've only listened to CD1 so far, they are the proper original 12" versions. Including Temptation with the original vocal, unlike every previous CD release I've found, so unless you're counting owning things on vinyl (and the clarity is stunning after years of my overplayed 12") I doubt you do have them all.

Do a search on Google.co.uk for retro new order - I've lost the link, but NME.com had both the list for the four CD box and the fifth CD in two stories on the first page.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
mark - go to www.neworderonline.com
all the info you need is there. there's an article that states the first 3000 releases in the US will have the bonus disc.
note: looking at the article about the us release, it shows (what appears) to be a different cover.
iain - which cover did you get?

or something like this:

just curious more than anything else.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Ted, thanks much. I have an "in" at Rhino, so that's good news-- though who's the idiot that postponed a box set for right AFTER Christmas?

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Yes - I've got the top image, so the box is the same shape as Heart And Soul. It really is a great track selection for the box, and at the moment is serving nicely as way of listening to them without having to switch 12" singles every five minutes, even ignoring the stuff that is new.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
thanks iain (man...i have a hard type typing your name for some reason ;) )
you guys get all the cool stuff. i bet i end up with that other cover... :frowning:

Michael_T

Second Unit
My set showed up in the mail today - nice package, with the bonus disc in it's own little slipcase. The bonus disc does have a "disclaimer" that it is FREE (while stocks last) to purchasers of the Retro box set.

Will be listening over the next few days.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
michael -
any thoughts so far? i've been on vacation so hopefully it'll be sitting at the office when i get home today!
i've been thinking about that darn box all week! ;)

Michael_T

Second Unit
As usual I buy way too much music - and I haven't gotten around to listening to any of the box set yet. I will post more when I do.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks