What's new

Retro gaming (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

Kind of bugs me that one of the biggest retro game tubers with over 7,000 games ,and 50 systems is just now discovering that CRT can be amazing. I just thought it was the unwritten rule to us that the best for retro will always be CRT. Well better late than never I guess.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Poor Metal Jesus lol. He seems like a good dude though. I've watched more than a few of his videos.

Speaking of retro gaming, looks like the PLEX media server now offers an option. I was interested until it dawned on me that it will never feature on the PS4 app, my main way of using PLEX. Also looks to be more of a beta than a finished product. Also a subscriptions service so you pay to use your own roms... maybe I shouldn't mention it haha.

I'm loving the "retro" experience on my switch. I'm down for all and nay that become available. Capcom Stadium with 30 games in the pack should be fun. It sure beats the fiddly Raspberry Pi I was using prior.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Not that I prefer CRT monitors over LCD for retro gaming or anything. :)
My game room has a heck of a long way to go guys please don't judge negatively yet. I have new furniture to assemble, posters to hang and more display racks to buy, and rearrange. I'll take pics when I am done...completely.

IMG_1000.JPG
IMG_1008.JPG
IMG_1009.JPG
IMG_1010.JPG
IMG_1012.JPG
IMG_1013.JPG
IMG_1014.JPG
IMG_1017.JPG
IMG_1018.JPG
IMG_1022.JPG
IMG_1024.JPG
IMG_1025.JPG
IMG_1026.JPG
IMG_1027.JPG
IMG_1030.JPG
IMG_1033.JPG

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Looks great already. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

I see you have Konami Arcade Classics for the PS1. That's one that has eluded me so far. Hopefully I'll find a deal one of these days (Although the Arcade Archives line has made most of it obsolescent now).

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Looks great already. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

I see you have Konami Arcade Classics for the PS1. That's one that has eluded me so far. Hopefully I'll find a deal one of these days (Although the Arcade Archives line has made most of it obsolescent now).
Thanks.
a 12 x 12 square room isn't exactly ideal for what I have in my head, (kind of cramped) but it will do for now. I have a good idea for the layout and I have so much more to display, and setup yet. I'll get some more pics when the posters arrive.

I really like that Konami disc. Back when I was collecting all those arcade compilations it was so new, and exciting. Getting the first volume of the Namco Museum for the PS1 in 1995 (96?) was one of the highlights of my game collecting. I mean nowadays you can probably play an arcade perfect port of Xevious on your phone while eating a steak dinner, but in the mid 90's it was magical to buy/own these games which had pretty much gone dark for over a decade..

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm loving the "retro" experience on my switch. I'm down for all and nay that become available. Capcom Stadium with 30 games in the pack should be fun. It sure beats the fiddly Raspberry Pi I was using prior.

Yeah, the Switch has continued to surprise me on how much I like it. I bought the Wii reluctantly, for a few games and barely played it, the WiiU was better but ill fated. Come to think of it I didn't even like the Gamecube all that much. I really loved the N64 (and the controller) and I have to say the Switch is right next to that one in terms of overall fun factor. And awesome to play retro arcade games. Any Donkey Kong players on Switch? The arcade classic is on Switch, and is beautiful. You can even play the "early version" which is by far much better than the standard cabinet that launched. in my opinion.

One thing about the switch, and I hate to say it but the controllers do not last. I have had the system since launch, and my left joycon thumbstick is busted (after years of light/medium use). Add to that the initial terrible launch of the 'Pro Controller' ($70 down the drain) and I'm thinking the quality of Nintendo controllers which were always great has slipped a bit.

Last edited:

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Yeah, the Switch has continued to surprise me on how much I like it.
I especially appreciate the option to rotate your Switch and play games in their original vertical arcade aspect ratio without windowboxing. Many of the ArcadeArchives series (like Burger Time) do this, as does the SNK 40th Anniversary Collection.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Went with the official S-video pack for the X box. Also has an optical output, which I need.
1612802319648.png

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
What a difference an official S-Video cable can make over a third party one that I bought for $12.

Oh great now I'm going to have to buy the official S-Video cable for the PS2 as well. Very expensive.
This sucks.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
What a difference an official S-Video cable can make over a third party one that I bought for $12.

Oh great now I'm going to have to buy the official S-Video cable for the PS2 as well. Very expensive.
This sucks.

Why do you need two S-Video cables?

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Why do you need two S-Video cables?
I bought the official Microsoft AV pack because it contained S-Video cable with the optical audio output(which is the only way to get it). I noticed the difference between the cheap Xbox S-Video cable, and the official cable immediately, then ran a test between them and the video quality was absolutely better.

I'm just taking a stab in the dark but something tells me that it will be a similar result for the PS2, and their official cable. Plus I heard before that S-Video is the one cable you don't want to cheap out on because the results while better than composite cables, vary greatly on the quality of it. This isn't an HDMI situation where you pay $100 for an expensive one, and get the same result from a $10 cable.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Analogue appears to have backtracked on the Analogue Pocket and Analogue Duo being limited run deals.

I hope the Analogue Pocket appears before Duo orders, since I'm again tempted by both products. We already know that the Pocket will get a cartridge adapter for TG16/PC Engine/SuperGrafx cartridges, but I'm curious about the jailbreak firmware that hopefully pops up a day or two after release (In line with past Analogue FPGA systems).

If the Pocket can play TG16/PC Engine disc images off the SD card after being jailbroken, I'll feel okay skipping the Duo and will just rip my discs at my PC. If not, the Duo's CD drive becomes much more important and tempting to me.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if the will ever get more Mega SG, or Super NT's in stock or if they are gone for good?

Too bad if the are, a friend recently got into the retro game scene, and now those options are no longer available for him.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
They claim they're working to get those back in stock. Super Nt is projected to be back in stock in March/April and the Mega Sg soon after.

The less popular colors are discontinued though (White for the Mega Sg and clear for the Super Nt) as are the limited edition variants of each that had some strange marketing tie-in ("Hyerdub" and "Ghostly").

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Rumor mill says the legacy Playstation Stores will be closing this summer. Happening sooner than I expected (Given the cordoning off from the PS4/PS5 store that occurred on the eve of the release of PS5, I thought it might buy the PS3/PSP/Vita a few more years).

I've prepared a list for a last round of purchases and culled a few things on my wishlist that I didn't really need (Like House of the Dead 3, which I have a perfectly good version of on the Wii). Luckily there's not much left that I really wanted. Just four XBLA style PS3 games, three PSP Minis, a PSP game, and four PS1 Classics.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks