What's new

Retrieving Hard Disk Data (1 Viewer)

Kraig Lang

Stunt Coordinator
Howdy All,

I've got a weird one that I'm hoping you can help me with. I killed my PC last weekend, so I went out and bought a new one. My problem is that I have some critical data on the old hard drives that I need to transfer over.

Unfortunately, when I open the case of the new machine, the new hardrive is mounted in a way that I can't get the primary or secondary connections on the ribbon to connect to the old drive. Nor do I have any available power off the powersupply to connect.

Can anyone think of a way that I can transfer data off a hard drive onto some form of transportable device without having to take apart another PC to do it? Are there extension cords and/or cable "Y"'s for ribbons and power? is this safe? I've got a Zen xtra with 15 free gig of space, but don't have a anything to mount the hard drive to, to get to the data.

Any suggestions would be Greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Kraig

Kraig Lang

Stunt Coordinator
Howdy All,

I've got a weird one that I'm hoping you can help me with. I killed my PC last weekend, so I went out and bought a new one. My problem is that I have some critical data on the old hard drives that I need to transfer over.

Unfortunately, when I open the case of the new machine, the new hardrive is mounted in a way that I can't get the primary or secondary connections on the ribbon to connect to the old drive. Nor do I have any available power off the powersupply to connect.

Can anyone think of a way that I can transfer data off a hard drive onto some form of transportable device without having to take apart another PC to do it? Are there extension cords and/or cable "Y"'s for ribbons and power? is this safe? I've got a Zen xtra with 15 free gig of space, but don't have a anything to mount the hard drive to, to get to the data.

Any suggestions would be Greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Kraig

SethH

Senior HTF Member
You could hit up Radio Shack for some new cables or extension cables. Or, you could go on Ebay (or an online hardware dealer) and buy an external case (either firewire or USB2.0). This would cost about $30-$50 and you could just slip your HD into it and use it as a portable drive.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
You could hit up Radio Shack for some new cables or extension cables. Or, you could go on Ebay (or an online hardware dealer) and buy an external case (either firewire or USB2.0). This would cost about $30-$50 and you could just slip your HD into it and use it as a portable drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks