What's new

retiring my AVR65...what next??? (1 Viewer)

Dale Ridgeway

Stunt Coordinator
Hi everyone,
The wife finally gave me the thumbs up for a new receiver to replace my HK AVR 65 which turns three this month
. Now the question is where do I go from here? I have $1200.00 to spend for a replacement. Im leaning toward the Marantz 8200, 7300 or the Hk 8000 on close out.
I am familiar with each model's features, but really what Im wondering is will there be an noticeable increase in sound quality over my present model. I ask this because because the AVR65 originally listed for 1200.00 a few years ago. So at least in terms of price its in the same ballpark. Just how much have receivers improved in sound in the last few years? Or have they reached a sort of plateau since the inception of DD and DTS?
I know for a fact that my receiver does not have 24 bit processors( I think they were offered the following year)
Any former AVR65 owners out there I would really like to know what you since upgraded to and how the sound compares. My access to demo pieces is really limited since circuit city doesnt really provide a adequate environment to audition recievers. and there are only a couple of places that sell "high-end" stuff.
So it really looks like I'll have to make my decision based on reviews, specs and your input.
Thanks
Dale

Ben Hanrahan

Stunt Coordinator
I upgraded to a Rotel RSX1055 from an HK 520, no comparison! The Rotel is much much more involving and musical than the hk. The AVR8000 can be had for cheap because it's not a great unit...it has many issues with heat. I'm not familiar with the Marantz but I've heard that they've made some strides recently towards regaining their status as a quality manufacturer.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
the only issue i know of with the 8000 is a slight center channel hum. personally i think if you've got a local H/K repair center and are prepared for some sort of delay while they were to repair it (provided your unit had it), then it's an intriguing product to consider given the price. and just to have a little fun at Rotel's expense, consider that they sell after-market power cords which they say will improve the performance of their product. now one way of reading that is why did they design their product to have certain shortcomings? if you pop over to avsforum, there's a fella there, Tom Bombadil (sp?) who has posted some rather in depth insight based upon his unit.
you don't have to buy your wife a car now do you?

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
I dont think 1200 dollars is enough money to replace the 65 with a better unit, I think you would be trading just to trade, that can be reason enough, but if you dont have any issues with the 65 why buy one of its competitors.
Are you tired of it or do you just want something different ?
For real differences I think you are , at least, going to have to move to the next price point. How about a 1066 Rotel with a used Rotel Multi-channel amp, get your foot in the door on seperates. . . IMO only. . .

Dale Ridgeway

Stunt Coordinator
I wouldnt call it neccessarily a lateral move neccessarily. If I went with the AVR8000 I would be getting these features that I dont have now.
Certainly more power. My 65 is rated at 65W at 4amps
The 8000 has has THX Ultra cert power. While the 65 had more than enough power in my apartment a few years ago, it doesnt to seem to have reserve power at high volumes it had in a smaller living room.
Things start to thin out at -10db on the reciever.
The 8000 also has 6 digital inputs compared to my 2 at present:frowning: A bummer having to switch four other components out constanlty to digital hookups.
Finally my reciever lacks all of the following features:
DPL2, THX, DTSES. NEO, LOGIC 7, component switchng, HDCD, 7 channel capabilty, and 24bit proceessers.
Now with that being said , wouldnt most of you consider these features as worthy upgrades to my present system?
Or is it a case where most of you find regular DD and DTS work fine and you dont consider these features reason enough to upgrade yet?
Your thoughts.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
i think you need to define what's important to you and not rely on others to make that decision. perhaps a more powerful receiver or external amps will make a difference if your present system is clipping or something. it may well be though, that the reason for not reaching satisfactory listening levels in the room that you're in may lie either in improper speaker placement and or just inadequate speakers for the space. you're going to have to sit down and see what it is that you want and determine for yourself if you actually need it. it's really a personal cost benefit analysis. however if you go with the h/k 8000 from onecall, you should be prepared for a center channel hum and realize, if it's objectionable, that you'll need to have it serviced.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
Just because 1 reciever has more features than another doesnt necessarily make it better. There are 200 dollar recievers out there with enough features to choke a horse. I have heard more bad than good about both the 7000 and the 8000, I think thats why the 520/525 out sells it. I understand they are made in different locations. . .
But it is your nickel, if the things you mention are that important then you should do it. I was refering to sonic benifits, there I think you will be hard pressed to do signifacantly(sp) better than the 65 for 1200 retail. IMO to get a measurable sound difference you are going to have to climb that ladder a little, seperates is only one step depending on the seperates.
However I know only too well what it is like to get tired of something, I have to be reality checked from time to time. . . .

Jaimin

Stunt Coordinator
Well how about trying an avr8000 in your home and then returning it if you don't think it was worth it. Granted you can only do this if you have a store near by that will let you do this, but trying out receivers in my home has definetly helped me before.

Dale Ridgeway

Stunt Coordinator
I might first try the 8000 from CC since they have a no hassle return policy. I can let the ears decide from there. I find it interesting though that many of you feel that seperates are the only avenue to achieve better sound from what I already presently own.
Would my money be better served using the 65 as pre amp and dumping the money into some amps? I just found this curious because perhaps unlike electr
onics in the PC world, the HT world doesnt progress as fast. Since Ive been out of the reciever market for the last few years since my last purchase, I was hoping that my dollar would go further in regards to sound and not just give me more features.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
Adding outboard amps is a logical first step especially if you need more power. At least it will soften the blow when and if you go seperates.
I wouldnt say seperates is your only alternative for better sound, there are many more levels up in the reciever market as well.
Thats the problem, isnt it, there is always something better out there. Too many choices. . .

Dave Ma

Stunt Coordinator
Dale,
You asked?
Now the question is where do I go from here? Right down to your Rotel dealer! For the money you want to spend the Rotel RSX 1055 is it. Solid receiver with great sound quality. Give it a listen to.:D
www.rotel.com

DonJ

Second Unit
I agree with Guy, at that price point you are staying in the same amp class but will get more updated features.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks