What's new

Rethinkin GR Research (1 Viewer)

Jonathan T

Second Unit
Based on a review I read earler, I'm rethinkin the GR research A/V-1+ speakers. I listen to about 95% reggae, and the rest is a mix of everything. I would like some speakers that mimiks the high end and midrange of my HD280s. I know it's dependent upon the room and so on. I'd like them to sound as close as possible in every aspect. A wide soundstage would sound weird, clarity (being able to hear every instrument and sound) is important but I don't want them to be spaced out; it's not classical music or big band jazz (that kind amusic is only good live;). I'm fine with building speakers myself, but I'm afraid of th crossovers. What do you guys think?

Jonathan_D

Stunt Coordinator
If the crossover is already laid out for you on a template (IOW not just a schematic) and you know how to solder it shouldn't be any problem. Go for it! :emoji_thumbsup:

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Jonathan, I think you'll be pleased with the GR's. Plenty forward, dynamic sound with SPL's to match your music.

Jonathan T

Second Unit
Aright hank, although I do like the idea of building my own speakers, cause I like building things. I guess I could try he A/V-1+, and i I don't like them , then I can sell them for more than what I paid for them.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Some of us are familiar with headphones, it's just that there are so many model numbers out there it's easy to get them confused.

When I listened to the HD-280 pros, they were very revealing with an upfront sound with crystal clear clarity. When comparing them to GR AV-3s I noticed that the AV-3s didn't have an as loud or as forward presentation. One benefit of the AV line is that they arn't picky about the source as I've heard them sound great with all types of amps and receivers.

The sound of the GRs is a lot more natural and realistic sounding. Some vocals on the GRs seem to have more realism and less rasp or grain to them. Even with the natural sound, the GRs have clear separation and depth. It's just that the sound isn't as up front and the highs seem somewhat laid back and subtle.

In the end, I enjoy the GR-AVs more simply because the sound is less fatiguing and I also enjoy the front sound stage rather than an "in your head" image you get with headphones.

Building speakers is easy if you have common knowledge and craftsmanship, and a few basic tools. I have a feeling you'll use those headphones a lot less once you can listen to a pair of AV1+ and at >$400 I think they're a steal.

george king

Supporting Actor
Jonathan T

Read my review of the A/V-1 I posted in the speaker section. The A/V-1+s will be better. I also have some Sennheiser headphones that I listen to. These speakers are better than that.

Do not worry about building the speakers, I did it and I have very little in the way of woodworking skills. This is why people like Brian and Hank impress me so much.

I bought unfinished cabs from Brian, and just painted them. They are black boxes (like my previous speakers) and look a lot like the A/V-1s on the GR page. You could try veneering them, so they look better, but mine look pretty good for a first shot (they will eventually go to surround duty in a year or so).

As to the crossover. If this really worries you, have Danny or Brian build it for you for a small charge. If you go this route, spend the extra money on the Blackhole 5 and the caps upgrade. I am convinced that the improvements in midbass are due to the BH 5 which really deadens things. The A/V-1s are super smooth and detailed, which is probably attributable in part to the caps upgrade. Danny has said that the caps need about 100 hours to break in, and mine probably only have 20-25 hours. I believe Danny, because they sound better every night.

Give it a shot, it is only money (that IS well spent) that will bring you hours of enjoyment.

Jonathan T

Second Unit
Well guys, I guess ou've convinced me about the A/V-1s. I have no problem building the cabinet, it's not too hard. And I like to work with my hand anyway. I guess I'll tackle building a crossover another day.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Jonathan, send me an e-mail if you have cabinet building questions - I've built lots of them.
Good luck and have fun!;)

Fong

Stunt Coordinator
i have a few questions george. is the blackhole 5 any better than wal-mart polyfil batting? and what is the sonicap upgrade? im just trying to get in a little research cos i might be making the a/v1's myself, as soon as i can find a use for them. :P i've had my m22ti's for about 6 months now and would really like to hear something that sounds better (well, in the bang-for-your-buck category).

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Fong,

GR Research offers an upgrade from their normal Axon capacitors, which are called Sonicaps.

Fong

Stunt Coordinator
thanks brian. could you tell me if the sonicaps make a big difference vs. the axon capacitors?

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I hear better detail with the Sonicaps. Even my dad hears it, and he hasn't spent as much time listening critically. So I think it's worth the upgrade.

Yousaf

Second Unit
I don't mean to steal the thread but since I am also VERY seriously considering the A/V-1s, I think others might be interested.

Let's say that you don't do any of the work yourself, and instead buy them prebuilt (with oak or cherry finish) and they cost $760-780. Are they still as good of a value?

As it stands, I am at school and don't really have anywhere that I could dedicate to painting these speakers, and I certainly cannot built the cabinets myself. I also don't have the time to do 5 or 6 coats of paint to make it look particularly good. I kind of want to install the Blackhole 5 and build the crossover myself, but since I have not heard these speakers in person, I don't know what to expect. I might do a poor job soldering (did I mention I've never done that before either?) and while I would think the sound is pretty good, I wouldn't exactly get that jaw-dropping experience that everyone else seems to get. The worst part is that I would either attribute it to the speaker being overhyped, or even worse, blame myself while at the same time having no idea how to fix the problem.

So if I were to pay ~$250 more to have everything done for me, is it still as good of a deal?

Fong

Stunt Coordinator
brian, sorry if im a bit skeptical, but did you do an a/b comparison, or was the difference just THAT noticable? i just dont see how $70 worth of capacitors can do that :b

Ronnie Ferrell

Second Unit
So if I were to pay ~$250 more to have everything done for me, is it still as good of a deal?
Can you afford loosing the cost of shipping? If so, decide for yourself. IIRC, Danny offers a "money back" trial period on his speakers if you have him build them for you. You will only be out the cost of shipping if you do not decide to keep them...

Also he has a couple pair of traveling speakers you can have sent to you just for trying out. It might be a while before you can get them though because I think the waiting list is kinda long...

To answer your question, I would have to say: YES, the A/V-1s are still a great bargain even if you spend the extra $250. I have had a pair for about 6 months and still LOVE them. I am only listening to a 2.1 system right now (A/V-1s and a tempest sub). I like my GR speakers so much, I am about to build two A/V-1+s for my mains, an A/V-C for my center, and move the A/V-1s back for surround use. Now if I can just save up the money! ;)

Ronnie

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks