Retail Space for TV Shows

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by ScottR, Oct 13, 2004.

1. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

I am wondering what the retail stores are going to do about shelf space when it comes to tv on dvd........

Dallas ran 14 seasons
    M*A*S*H ran 11 seasons
    The Simpsons has run several seasons and counting
    Green Acres ran 6 seasons
    I Love Lucy ran 6 seasons

And on and on and on.........will they start putting titles on moratorium? I can't see how they will have the space for all of these shows that are being released.

2. Jonathan_Clarke

Jonathan_Clarke Second Unit

From what I've seen most stores only stock the latest season.

I decided to pick up X Files Season 6 recently and had to buy it online. It's in print but stores only had Season 9.

3. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Retailers will probably do the same thing that bookselers do with sf/fantasy/mystery series that run forever - have a copy or two of the first season, a copy or two of the last couple, and special order anything in-between.

4. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

Jason's post seems like a likely route. Of course, stores that are with the times are expanding their media sections when necessary. Two years ago, you wouldn't find one-third as much space at my local Omaha Best Buy as you find now for strictly TV on DVD fare.

You'll always be able to find every season of The Simpsons, Sopranos, Friends, and any of the other huge releases at any store that specializes in media (Best Buy, Borders, FYE, etc.), so long as it is worth a salt. Retail stores with smaller media sections (like Wal-Mart or Target) are more likely to only give you the latest stuff and the old-time top sellers.

Of all the stores in Omaha, Borders by a large margin (even over the largest-scale Best Buy store in the area), keeps the largest selection of TV on DVD product in stock. They've got all the MST3K individual eps, odd stuff like Fractured Flickers and One Step Beyond, a special section for BBC DVD, and a lot more. Too bad they're not a discount chain.

5. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

This is the reason for the "downsizing" of most season sets' packaging. What started out as space-wasting individual Amaray cases in a box (I Love Lucy, Flying Circus, My So Called Life, Stargate SG-1) has become space-saving DigiStack or ThinPak sets (CSI, Sledge Hammer, Silk Stalkings).

I believe "Silk Stalkings", with its 6 discs in 3 double-ThinPaks, has to be the smallest package for a 6-disc collection. We'll be seeing more of this style packaging, as the flood of TV-on-DVD continues and the studios fight for the valuable retail shelf space.

The packaging for most older sets will have to be reconfigured, if the studios expect retailers to re-stock them. Otherwise, their obsolete size will deter most retailers from keeping them as a regular stock item.

Just this week "Punk'd: S2" was released in ThinPaks, exactly half the size of S1. Also, compare the size of "I Love Lucy" S1 to S2. This trend, combined with the increasing use of DVD-18's, should continue to reduce the size of most season sets.

6. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

I'm waiting for stores to build a second "level" in their DVD departments. Why not have a metal structure that adds more floor space by allowing them to add a fake second level? Most of these stores have massive ceilings with wasteful vertical space.

Gord