What's new

Resume's for Grad. School...?? (1 Viewer)

Stacey_B

Second Unit
Hi,
This may be a silly question but I'm preparing to apply to Michigan State University and I see on the website that one of the things they want as part of admission is a resume.

Are they talking like, you give this to a job resume? Is it a diffrent professional resume I'm not aware of?

Just curious before I give the grad school a good laugh if I send them the wrong thing! :)

Thanks!
Stacey

SethH

Senior HTF Member
You should be fine sending a job resume. Just make sure to include things like undergrad GPA etc. I had to turn one in with my MBA application and I know they used it to send around to different departments which were looking for graduate assistants to professors. They may use them for another purpose as well, but if they do I was unaware of it. Also, with things like this it never hurts to ask. Just call up and say, "Hi, I'm applying to your grad school and was wondering if there are special requirements for the resume?" Even if the person laughs at you they still don't know your name and, therefore, can't hold it against you.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
We just had a speech on Residency apps where the guest speaker was visiting from a MSU campus. He gave us this tidbit that might be of help for their programs or not. :D

"A curriculum vitae (often called a "CV" or "vita") tends to be used for educational and scientific positions. A curriculum vitae tends to provide more academic and research information. A curriculum vitae lends itself toward completeness of your experiences and can run for many pages. A resume is usually used for business positions, focuses on business related experiences, and is typically very brief."

There's a sample CV and interviewing tips here from the same guy: Link

Note: For us he was saying keep the CV 1 page if possible and bring a few copies to your interviews.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Yep, you want a resume (or CV). But as with a job, write it with a view towards your goal: an academic position.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Well, you want a "job resume", but you want it to stress your research capabilities. Joseph is right in that a CV is basically an academic resume that should list all of your work and publications. When I was a grad student, my supervisor's CV was something like 90 pages, but that was with 40 years of publications listed on there.

The resume is basically just another way to sell yourself. Unlike an undergrad degree, grad students tend to come from different backgrounds (i.e. not necessarily straight out of school), which can make a huge difrerence in your potential as a researcher.

If you have any (relevant) publications though, I'd be sure to list them. Also stress any experience you have in the area, and make sure you sell them on what you can contribute to their ongoing research.

Stacey_B

Second Unit
Thank you! Thank you!
All very helpful! I will keep it in mind...wish me luck! :)

Stacey_B

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks