Results of my blind cable A vs. B test

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shion_ca, Sep 5, 2002.

1. Shion_ca

Shion_ca Stunt Coordinator

Hello All,

Thought I'd share the following. When being asked if I' car eto invest in decent interconnects for the Musical Fidelity Amp/Preamp I'd just bought, I said I didn't have the money now but would consider if I could get a good demonstration of their worth. So with the exact components I had A3 CR plus a set of Meadowlark Heron i's, a Mark Levison CD player, Cardas neutral reference speaker wire and Cardas neutral ref. source to pre. We switched between my radio shack generic red/green/yellow av interconnects and a $400 (can) Harmonic tech offering. I listened to the opening of track 2 on Enya's sheppards moon (the one with Lothlorien on it) Cd three times, then left the room and he either swithced or didn't switch the cables. I could only ask the sales guy to do this 8 times but in those 8 times I was able to pick each time which was which and then personally looked over the back and confirmed myself. The $400 sounded thicker in the highs and mids and appeared to have more "space" between the instruments. I did have to listen 3 times though to confirm, after each switch I put the Radio Shack back on and reaccustomized myself to their sound. It does take some listening though and wasn't entirely obvious but I think if you know what to listen for you'll note a difference.

I was very disappointed as I'd hoped that they'd sound the same ; ) In any case for Chu et al non believers (which formerly included me) get a really good setup of every component (like the one I described, I'm not talking monster speaker wires or interconnects I'm talking the higher end Cardas and Nordst) and then swith the components betwee the source and pre with Radio Shack and say Cardas etc. If your honestly willing to buy, any high end speaker store should be agreeable to the experiment. I'd like those of you who are naesayers to go out do this with really high end gear and tell me what your results are. I do believe there is a noticable difference between really base av wire and really high end cable.

So for what it's worth these were my findings and I encourage all of you to go out and do the same before you continue to debate the subject. Just go see for youself.

2. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

Glad you found out for yourself. That's my stock answer nowadays.
    Be prepared to be told your wrong and the test wasn't accurate and that lamp cord makes a fine interconnect. [​IMG]
    Thanks for the info!

3. Shion_ca

Shion_ca Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone else gone out and done this and would like to share their experiences?

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

well a good effort however......
    i'd have had someone there watching the salesman and......
    i'd have ensured the levels at the speaker terminals were matched using a VOM...
    but if it makes you happy...[​IMG]

5. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Theoretically, it should be easier to tell differences between interconnects than between speaker cables. At least, so I believe.

Thanks for posting your experience, this is definitely interesting.

6. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

Thanks for the post.... and for being candid.

BOK

7. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i'm surprised chu gai didnt post another small novel about how cables dont matter. thats precious bandwidth youre taking up, especially when nobody bothers to read it.

CJ

8. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

8 out of 8 is a rather remarkable score and Christ, you should read more carefully what I've written in the past about how to properly conduct tests. i always thought novels, which are looked upon as fictional tales, were called white papers [​IMG]
    having a salesman conduct the test is like having Charlie Sheen swear that Britney Spears is a chaste young woman.
    nonetheless I don't begrudge Shion's investment.

9. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

10. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

11. John Royster

lee,

YGPM - re box sets

12. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

My older son, who knew her when she was just a little Spear, nary more than a stilleto, has stated she is a deeply spiritual person. When I asked how he knew, he told me that the one night they'd spent together, she kept yelling out 'Oh g*d'. I'm glad he laid that matter to rest.

Now you ought to know better Lee about making efforts to control variables and letting the fox guard the chickens!!

13. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ

14. Eric_Lakes

Eric_Lakes Agent

Shion,
    It's great that you took the time to test this debate for yourself. When I first got into HT, I took a listening test also. I took 2 different cables and plugged them into the left and right and turned the balance from left to right... and boy was i surprised!!! My virgin ears heard the difference. So for years I spent the 10% rule on cables and I told everyone about my test results. I was very confident until I got to know more about "STEREO". That revelation blew away my original test results!!! So I took anther test and disappointed as I am, my ears are not golden [​IMG]
    Knowing that a salesman administered the test to you, do you still feel that your test results are accurate??? (BTW, the markup on cables are where salesmen make the most $$$)

15. Bob Sheen

Bob Sheen Stunt Coordinator

Hi Eric,

16. Eric_Lakes

Eric_Lakes Agent

Bob,

With STEREO sound, there are different signals going to each speaker. I don't remember what sound track I was listening to, but the difference I heard that day might have been contributed to this. So since the test was invalid, I could not use those results as the basis of my opinions. That forced me to re-think, and so I decided to take a more controlled listening test. In the second test, I could not distingush any difference. I still have hope... that's why I said that I don't have "Golden Ears". Because I cound not tell the difference, I have to be kinda skeptical.

If there was some with a "Golden Ear" out there and I was part of setting up the test and administering it, and that person could tell the difference, then my faith would be fully restored. Until then, I can only go by what I have tested myself.

17. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

The methodology used by Shion is of course invalid, since it was not a true double blind test. What was really needed was a THIRD person doing random switching while having no contact WHATSOEVER with Shion OR the audio salesman.

18. Bob Sheen

Bob Sheen Stunt Coordinator

19. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

wow interesting stuff.....would you be against moving up the cable chain to see when the differences start to cease? how bout comparing with the AR pro series?

20. John Royster