results from my first stab at veneering

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Philip_G, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

thanks for all the help and advice, I'm mostly pleased with it. A few little things that piss me off though, I slipped with the router on the face, the way the front baffle is cut I followed the countour that has a notch for the terminals on the mid, instead of the recess in the baffle, creating a funky little divit, probably not noticeable.
    Sorry it's such a terrible picture, dark wood+flash I guess.

[​IMG]

I did all the edges with a razor blade, then finally broke down and bought a trim router (harbor freight, 20 bucks) to do the baffle, should have done that right off the bat.

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Looks great! Better than my first attempt.

My veneering has improved with each project. It's something you really need to do at least once to get a feel for it. My first attempt looks really crappy (Georgia-Tech 2 ways). Like you, I had trouble trimming and there are a couple corners where I "over-trimmed" a bit and wound up with a small gap where the veneer meets. It looks pretty sad up close... but on my most recent set of speakers you can hardly tell where the corner is.

Someday I'll redo the 2-ways.

3. MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD Supporting Actor

Mike
    Looks very nice!! [​IMG] Lots of work to do that, I'm sure. Did you do the rest of the speakers too? Pics?

4. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I haven't done the rest, the plan is to build new mains and do those, then do the subwoofer to match because it's in an oak color, but the shape and size of the sub make me wonder, it's the same cabinet as the adire rava, and the strips of veneer I have are only like 12" wide by 3 feet long, not enough to goleft to right, and I don't know if I can bend the veneer over the rounded edge going front to back (going with the grain I fear it will split)
    I'm using 1/8" mahagony from constantine's, no paperback.

One thing I did on this speaker was spraypaint the corners black, this way if the wood peeks through you don't notice as much, combined with the dark stain it's no problem, finish sanding smoothed out my cuts pretty well. I found a couple bubbles though [​IMG]

I tried to use the yellow glue/iron method, and it failed miserably, so I resorted to good old contact cement with much better results. I must say, those ends were a BITCH to do, that recessed panel is black, and I don't have the tools to fill it in to cover it, so I did the whole end, then trimmed out the black with a razor blade. One end I did twice, the other 3 times and I'm still not happy. I also scratched the black stuff with the razor blade [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

oh, and I think I reversed the polarity on the woofers when I originally built the thing :b
    they've got the two woofers in series, and the right woofer has blue wire to both terminals, the left has blue and black, so I'm *assuming* the right gets the + then the other woofer is wired in series and back to the xover, oops. I may have to email them for a wiring diagram to verify, but it sounds right, so we'll go with it [​IMG]

another question, what do you guys think, grille or no grille? I could make a simple large oval shaped grille that would show a little wood around the edges, leave it as is, or maybe some other method? I had a fabric sock on it before, I could swear that peerless tweeter sounds a little harsher without the sock

6. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

7. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I kinda like "showing off the goods" too [​IMG]
    maybe I'll get a *decent* picture of the stupid thing tonight