What's new

Restored FUNNY GIRL in Toronto, Montreal & Vancouver (1 Viewer)

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Sony's restoration of the 1968 FUNNY GIRL opens this weekend at the Varsity Toronto, Granville Vancouver and the AMC Forum in Montreal. These are dye transfer technicolor prints, just like the original. Wait til you see the intensity of the reds in the "You Are Woman, I Am Man" dining room scene ! I had a look at the print tonight and was very pleased. They haven't fiddled with the sound mix, thankfully , so like most 60's stereo films the sound is primarily all front channels.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
I think the word "restored" is thrown around too much at the forum. The fact that a new Technicolor print was made from the original elements, as the case here, does not make this a restored print. Just a new one. Restoration is much more. Suggest you ask Robert Harris! :)
------------------

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
I don't know what the answer here is. The print does contain credits at the end for the teams that worked on creating this new print so it' s certainly being credited as a "restoration".
What really matters to us movie buffs ( and the reason I posted ) is it's a rare chance to see a great print of a classic movie in a real theatre. How it got that way is secondary.
I just wish the studios would do it on a regular basis !

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
If anyone in Florida is interested in seeing this new version of Funny Girl, it also opens for one week at Regal Channelside 9 here in Tampa, a very nice multiplex that tries to book unusual films.
= Derek =

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
I stand corrected. If there are additional credits at the end of the film then indeed this is a restoration. I saw the original roadshow release at the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks