Restored Cinderella on the Big Screen

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Al (alweho), Sep 16, 2005.

1. Al (alweho)

Al (alweho) Second Unit

Disney and DTS/Lowery is presenting the restored Cinderella digitally projected at the El Capitan Theater in Hollywood through September 25th. It may be worth making a special effort to catch as this will most likely be the only way to see this restoration on a big screen considering the imminent release of the DVD.

The cleaned-up picture and sound to my eyes and ears were remarkable and well worth the price of admission. Lowery himself before the show all but claimed it was his best work to date.

For those that missed the opening night's discussion panel you may want to take a quick look at the following URL to see who was there: http://www.miceage.com/suekruse/sk091605a.htm

Judging by the audience response the movie still retains its storytelling magic after all the years. The DVD should be terrific, but of course it cannot compare to this presentation.

2. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Lowry has created a magnificent New Edition for Disney, as they have previously with other titles.

A "restoration" replicates the original. This goes well beyond, creating a product at a much higher level of perfection than was originally attainable.

This is a magnificent New Edition which will entertain generations to come.

The original is well protected and will continue to be representative of the initial release.

3. Al (alweho)

Al (alweho) Second Unit

It's interesting to note that Disney touts this version as a "restoration" in marketing for both the screening and the DVD.

Thanks for clarifying that. [​IMG]

4. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Using the term "restoration," which has become highly distored, has a nice positive tone to it, and gets the correct idea across to the prospective audience.

I can't really blame Disney publicity for using it, although, as I noted, the new Lowry version is different, yet better than restored, in a positive way.

From what I've read about Mr. Disney, who I never had the pleasure of meeting, it seems that he would have been all for it, as it heightened the quality of the entertainment.

RAH