Restored "American In Paris"?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Munster, Sep 11, 2002.

1. Mike Munster

Mike Munster Auditioning

I am looking forward to Warner's release of "Singing In The Rain" after its recent restoration/new print. My question is about another Gene Kelly classic "American In Paris." I recall in the past hearing that "American In Paris" had allegedly been restored. However, to my eye and compared to other Technicolor films of the period like "Singing In The Rain" and 'Annie Get Your Gun", it just doesn't look right to me. Almost like an Eastman color copy of a Technicolor print or the like. What is the story behind the current "look" of this classic? I feel another "restoration" is needed as it sure doesn't have that Technicolor pop to the colors that I feel should be there.

2. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

Well the current copy on DVD is from an Eastmancolor print, I'm pretty sure. SITR is the first Technicolor film to have a video master with a digitally-aligned picture from the YCM separations.

3. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Just to be clear, the protection elements for three strip Technicolor productions are fine grain masters.

There is nothing to separate.

More often than not, these are called "separations," but are not.

RAH

4. GerardoHP

GerardoHP Supporting Actor

Gerardo Paron
    Are you talking about the WHV DVD release of about 3-4 years ago, or is there a new improved release out there?

5. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese

6. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

Yup, the new one. Screenshots I've seen look spectacular. It has also been screened digitally in L.A. recently.

RAH, you're absolutely right. My bad. I guess I'm just used to hearing them called "separations".

7. GerardoHP

GerardoHP Supporting Actor

Gerardo Paron
    Oh, my God, guys! Where have I been?!

8. Mike Munster

Mike Munster Auditioning

Back on topic......How was the current "restored" print of "An American in Paris" created? As I said before, "to my eye and compared to other Technicolor films of the period like "Singing In The Rain" and 'Annie Get Your Gun", it just doesn't look right to me. Almost like an Eastman color copy of a Technicolor print or the like. What is the story behind the current "look" of this classic?" Any info on this?

9. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

I have no inside info but I believe the current AIP was created for LaserDisc under the supervision of George Feltenstein in the 80s. I remember reading that they used film seps to make the master. But this was before high tech video restoration really got underway. All work was done in the film domain.