What's new

Restored "American In Paris"? (1 Viewer)

Mike Munster

Auditioning
I am looking forward to Warner's release of "Singing In The Rain" after its recent restoration/new print. My question is about another Gene Kelly classic "American In Paris." I recall in the past hearing that "American In Paris" had allegedly been restored. However, to my eye and compared to other Technicolor films of the period like "Singing In The Rain" and 'Annie Get Your Gun", it just doesn't look right to me. Almost like an Eastman color copy of a Technicolor print or the like. What is the story behind the current "look" of this classic? I feel another "restoration" is needed as it sure doesn't have that Technicolor pop to the colors that I feel should be there.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Well the current copy on DVD is from an Eastmancolor print, I'm pretty sure. SITR is the first Technicolor film to have a video master with a digitally-aligned picture from the YCM separations.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Just to be clear, the protection elements for three strip Technicolor productions are fine grain masters.

There is nothing to separate.

More often than not, these are called "separations," but are not.

RAH

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
quote: SITR is the first Technicolor film to have a video master with a digitally-aligned picture from the YCM separations.

Are you talking about the WHV DVD release of about 3-4 years ago, or is there a new improved release out there?
Gerardo,

I think Brian is referring to the new release of Singin' In the Rain that is due out on September 24.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Yup, the new one. Screenshots I've seen look spectacular. It has also been screened digitally in L.A. recently.

RAH, you're absolutely right. My bad. I guess I'm just used to hearing them called "separations".

Mike Munster

Auditioning
Back on topic......How was the current "restored" print of "An American in Paris" created? As I said before, "to my eye and compared to other Technicolor films of the period like "Singing In The Rain" and 'Annie Get Your Gun", it just doesn't look right to me. Almost like an Eastman color copy of a Technicolor print or the like. What is the story behind the current "look" of this classic?" Any info on this?

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
I have no inside info but I believe the current AIP was created for LaserDisc under the supervision of George Feltenstein in the 80s. I remember reading that they used film seps to make the master. But this was before high tech video restoration really got underway. All work was done in the film domain.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks