Restocking Keeps Xbox Rockin! Another spin on current sales numbers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by pitchman, Dec 15, 2001.

1. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    Microsoft's ability to restock faster than Nintendo has an impact on total console sales according to this new report.
    Gary

2. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Actually, the X-Box is restocking fewer more frequently, so MS is getting around the same amount of units in stores per week as Nintendo, if not a little less.

Nintendo launched with 700k and is supposed to have 1.3 million out by the end of the year. MS launched with 400k and should have 1.1 million by the end of the year.

3. RyanM

RyanM Agent

Morgan: Can you cite any source for your claims? They appear to directly contradict the article Gary pointed out.

Ryan

4. Peter Loan

Peter Loan Second Unit

Speaking for the Best Buy that I work at, we've gotten 96 Gamecube in and get this...around 260 Xbox units. We're getting Xbox every week or so and in quantity. The controllers and DVD packs are always in demand and currently sold out. I haven't seen the HD pack since the system's launch. The games are enjoying brisk sales to say the least.

5. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

6. Michael St. Clair

7. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

8. Jason Handy

Jason Handy Second Unit

Well, I don't think that making a deal with MS or Sony is bad business practice at all. After all, those of us who like Pepsi are hard pressed to find it at McDonalds [​IMG]
    Plus, in my local Wal-Mart, I have seen many more GC than Xboxen, so perhaps there is a reverse trend here?

9. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Best Buy received far and away the largest percentage of the original shipment of Xboxen. I don't think it's a strech to imagine that they have a favored retailer status with MS.

(In my town, Best Buy received over 100 Xboxen, Wal-mart received 15)

-Dave

10. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Ryan-

I know that GameSpot has some articles about Nintendo pushing the number of units shipped this year from 1.1 to 1.3 million (the X-Box was 1.2 million, my mistake) but I don't have the link, so maybe I'll get it later.

11. David Head

David Head Second Unit

The Gamespot article states that Nintendo has shipped 1.1 million (just posted Friday). It states that they will ship 100,00 a week for the rest of the year, so 1.3 to 1.4 million units total.
    Gamespot also posted this article last Monday that states that Microsoft had shipped 1.1 million units already, with an additional 300,00 more before the end of the year. That would make 1.4 million units.
    The PS2 sales figures are still better than either the GC or Xbox, but that's still a lot of sales for both new consoles.
    David

12. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I think the GCN and XB are seeing the quickest restocking and selling of any console ever. Good for them! I like to see the competition get tougher!

13. Butch Smith

Butch Smith Stunt Coordinator

Why do you all constantly go back and forth about this? What is it to you that Console X or Console Y sold more last week? Are you seeing any of that money?

To me, it just sounds like a slick way to perpetuate the fanboy BS. And don't tell me you're interested in sales trends... It doesn't make your console any better.

14. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Doesn't it though? More sales of console A means a bigger install base, which is a major element in a developer's decision of which platform to develop for. Plus, for those of us who have spent $850 in the last week on the Xbox, it feels good to be reassured that a)we're not alone, and b)that we're on the winning team. I have to say that had ANYONE but Microsoft launched the Xbox I probably wouldn't have bought one, thinking it was going to go the way of the Jaguar or 3DO. However it was launched my MS, who has nore money than God-hopefully assuring some measure of success...

15. Michael St. Clair

Hell, we've even entered a new era of truly meaningless sales stats.
    I could sell 10 million of a PS2 or XBox, and a year later 50 percent of them might be just playing DVDs, with the buyers not really getting into the gaming aspect (but they felt they were getting a good deal in a combo unit).
    Wait a year and watch the software sales are.

16. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Best Buy absolutely has a partnership with Microsoft. They received between 10% and 15% of all Xboxen in the US. That's a pretty huge split.

TRU has a similar deal with Nintendo. I could spit out inventory numbers that would be just as lopsided in favor of the Gamecube over Xbox (from my TRU perspective).

We have days that feel like I couldn't give an Xbox away. Gamecube shipments sell out on the same day. PS2 is really moving well too -outselling the new consoles without effort.

17. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

18. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary

19. BrianB

BrianB Producer

20. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary