What's new

Restless Leg Syndrome (1 Viewer)

Mary M S

Screenwriter

That description fits! [have never heard anyone else admit (or mention) it. Good it doesn't bug 'himself'. :laugh:

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I've had several girlfreinds that did the same thing prior to my wife. So it was nothing new to me. ;)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

Thinking I had the wrong topic header, but I don't know if I want to go with Steve's idea.
How about, "Would you quit shaking your damn foot?"
Mostly we're hearing from the gleeful shakers so I'm just gonna keep quiet. ;)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
At the risk of being over-serious, a friend of mine genuinely has RLS and it gets her hopping mad (no joke intended) that there seems to be an attempt to make this the 'disease of the month'. RLS was first identified in the 19th century and is a genuine condition. It has nothing to do with being fidgety and it shouldn't be confused with the sorts of muscle twitches (more accurately myoclonal jerks) that can be experienced when a person is feeling tired.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i shake my leg nearly all the time.
i have always called it nervous energy.
my mom and dad still try to get me to stop.
i just say "can't, sorry."

i dont think i have rls but i cant get to slep if my legs arent covered by a very tight fitting pant of some sort.

it cant be loose fitting like sweat pants but tight like stretch pants.

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
My friend has RLS real bad or as she calls it the jimmy legs-

she describes it as little bugs crawling around in her leg. theres no pain for her, its just annoying as hell.

btw whats the show they used that term? i always thought she made it up.

im a leg bouncer, even as i stumbled upon this thread, i was bouncing my leg.

And i agree, bouncing the leg is how us thin people stay thin. TRUELY !

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
^^ it's from Seinfeld where Kramer can't sleep in the same bed as his girfriend (Sarah Silverman) because her legs twitch when she sleeps.

Kramer tells Jerry that she's got "Jimmy Legs".

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
Restless legs is a real condition diagnosed with following symptoms;
1. Discomfort/ pain/ creepy crawling feeling in the legs
2. Discomfort mainly occurs in the evening
3. Discomfort worsens with rest
4. Discomfort is less with activity such as getting up and walking around.

If you know people that are diagnosed with this, they will tell you it definitely interferes with their quality of life. It can also affect their sleeping mate or spouse because they simply cannot rest at night.
Currently the only approved medication for RLS is a Dopamine Agonists such as Requip or Mirpapex. These were and are primarily used for Parkinson's Disease but at lower doses alleviate RLS.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Bingo. I have RLS and the above fits me to a T. I don't have bouncing legs during the day and generally don't show any symptoms at all until late evening when I'm tired or trying to fall asleep. The only thing that might trigger a day time leg kick is direct exposure to cold temperatures.

I'm now on Requip which has relieved my pain and increased my comfort to a great extent. Since my symptoms were getting worse with age I was concerned it was turning into Parkinsons, but my doctor assured me that wasn't the case and suggested I try this medication.

At the risk of sounding like a PSA, if you believe you have RLS and are not on Requip, I suggest you ask your doctor about it. It definitely improved my life. Not only do I sleep with substantially less pain I feel more refreshed when I wake up since I haven't been kicking my legs all night. My wife notes that it also reduces my snoring!

PhillJones

Second Unit

I'm glad the drug is working for you. I would offer a note of caution that you will become accustomed to the drug over time and have to have your dosage increased for the same effect. This causes the side-effects to increase too. I would guess that taking the drugs also might make the condition worse in the long run although I don't know this for sure. There are also other therapies which can be inter-leaved with the dopamine agonists like opioids and neurontin to get more milelage and try to reduce

So, for anybody who has RLS, when you ask your doctor about requip, ask him about becoming accustomed to it and what effect that will have.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks