What's new

Resting the receiver on my... (1 Viewer)

Yousaf

Second Unit
I live in a dorm room, and I'm pretty cramped for space. Now, the receiver I currently have isn't particularly deep and so I can get away with putting in on my bookcase shelf, with about 1/2 of the front legs hanging off the edge. My new H/K 320 receiver is much deeper, and the front legs will hang way over (I'm at home right now and have not received speakers yet so this is not something I can test out right now). I'd rather not have the receiver leaning off the self, and I noticed somthing interesting...the top of the shelf is 17" off the ground...the subwoofer I will be getting in is also 17" tall...how convenient. I figure this is probably a pretty stupid question, but will I harm the receiver if I let the back to legs stay on the shelf and let the front two sit on the subwoofer? The way I see it, the sub casing shouldn't vibrate too much anyway, but this is something I cannot verify yet because I don't have the sub yet. However, do you guys think there will be a significant amount of vibration that it would shake the receiver too much and damage it? Are there other concerns I should have?

Normally I would dismiss something like this right off the bat, but it would be hell trying to make room to put it somewhere else. I know it can be done, but this is the best place for me to put it (in relationship to where I sit and where it won't get beat up by people coming in the room).

Bill_Weinreich

Second Unit
A couple things would concern me about doing that. First would be the vibration. Sensitive components (usually surface mount ic's) in the receiver may be affected but I believe this fear would be minimal. Second, that particular position for your sub may prove to be a bad spot audibly. Many times you have to experiment with the position of subwoofers around a room to get optimal sound. Finally the sub probably isn't magnetically shielded. This may have adverse effects on the receiver(or the TV if its nearby)

Good Luck,
Bill

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Make sure the vibrations cannot move the receiver in an unstable position. I doubt if you would damage it (a subwoofer cabinet shouldn't vibrate too much: that would mean it's not sturdy enough!).

Cees

Yousaf

Second Unit
Thanks Bill and Cees. I do have 1/2" thick neoprene paddinglying around, I might be able to put that under the receiver to minimize any vibrations (even though it apperas there should be none).

The video shielding seems like a bigger problem. I will have to check the manual when I receive the sub to see if it is shielded or not. If it isn't, then I'm definitely not going to put it under the receiver. There's no sense in risking damage to my new receiver for somehting like that...

As far as sub placement, that is not of utmost importance to me. As I said, it is a cramped dorm room and there are only a few places where it could go (can't have it in the middle of the room or anything), so chances are I wouldn't get the sweet spot anyway if I tried.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks