What's new

restaurant kitchen horror stories don't be shy....share your with us! (1 Viewer)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
my roommate works for a major pest elimination company that has a lot of big name national accounts, all kinds of food service, fast food to regular resturaunts to hotels, you name it. The stories I hear :eek: she works in the call center so she gets them first hand

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I worked at a Burger King for three years during college and despite having to work the "bar rush" (Midnight to 4:00 a.m.) many times and dealing with a lot of people who were annihilated, I never witnessed any despositing of bodily fluids or cleaning solvents on the food.
Same here. I worked part-time for Burger King for about 5-years and never witnessed any of the behavior described in this thread. Condiment mistakes, yes, but no bodily fluids or dirty/spoiled food.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I delivered pizzas (Pizza Hut) long time ago and all I did was be rude to the people who didn't tip me (it wasn't in my best interest to deliver to people who kept me at minimum wage when I went beyond the call of duty). Though I did get fired for it later I never tampered with the customer's food (I believe that you should be able to be rude back but to me this becomes assault and a line I wouldn't cross while at work) I knew of other co-workers that I worked with who stated that they spat, coughed, rubbed snot, and in one case a guy told me that he would stick his hand down his pants and rub an "extra topping" for those non-tipping customers.

I'm a strong believer that part of why the fast food industry workers are sometimes this way (I knew people who most of would consider good people but it seems for some being in this type of business takes it's toll) is a combination of pay (if you get fired you can always go to the business down the street for the same pay) and perception (most people look down and treat most fast food workers with absolutely no sense of decency or respect). I know when I'm at a fast food restaurant that I'm always nice to the workers, as they are the ones handling my food, but it always amazes me about how crass some are to these workers not realising that these are the same people preping it for them.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
But it works both ways: Maybe the person ordering the food is having a bad day beyond his or her control. Things aren't going right, he or she enters an eating establishment, food server doesn't and/or can't know the story and therefore takes it personally (which also is understable), expresses disgruntlement to fellow staffers, and the customer pays with potential health issues.

Always be nice to people is the lesson I learn from this thread—especially to those who prepare and serve your food at a restaurant. Tip well, too.

Or pick up some fixings at a local grocer and play it safe.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Fool said:
I believe that there is a threshold that delineates trash from the civilized. And despite whatever provocation, if you perpetrate the vile acts described in this thread, you might want to commit to some self-analysis and look to see what company you've joined on the other side of the line.
Each one of us has so little control over our lives. Yet for the little realm that falls within our grasp...

Eve T

Supporting Actor
It's one thing to retaliate against a customer who personally assaulted you with a potato (using the word "assault" loosely), but another to spit into a shake machine where shakes would be dispensed for presumably innocent customers. If a co-worker of mine did that, I would demand that he/she be fired, or just flat out quit.
What makes you think I didn't complain about the incidents I saw at Hardee's? Do you actually think that the manager (same age as us which was about 20 years of age) even cared?
If you think the manager didn't know about this than you're in for some serious dissapointment. She knew and yes, I did quit once I found another job.
Contrary to popular belief people don't work at Hardee's because they want to, it's usually because they have to. I was young, going to school and pregnant,I was the only one working and I had bills to pay and took no government assistance, I had to be there while I bettered myself in a skill and used every oppurtunity to find another job, that is when I wasn't studying or in the hospital as a result of complications during pregnancy. Not everyone is concerned with the publics well being, even managers of fast food joints and more sadly most of "their" bosses above them don't care about John Q Public either. That doesn't mean that I didn't care, it was more like I was trapped.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I rarely eat fast food and haven't been near a buffet in ages. I eat at sit-down restaurants quite often and can't recall ever pissing off any worker there. Heck, even when a waitress spilled ice tea all over my husband's lap, we still tipped her decently and weren't anything beyond slightly annoyed (and we didn't even let on that we were).

Anyway, I know what goes on in restaurant kitchens. I won't, however, let it prevent me from frequenting restaurants in general (though I do have a list of "stay away from" places). The reason being, I also have a pretty good idea of what goes on in other people's kitchens. That's one reason I stay away from pot-luck foods unless its store-bought and won't spoil by sitting out all day. And quite frankly, I also know what happens to certain foods (namely meat and produce) before they hit the grocery shelves. Everywhere you look and everywhere you turn you're going to find food that was not subjected to the strictest health practices. Unless you own a farm and eat only things you are accountable for, you're eating a lot more than what you bargained for.

I am not advocating reckless abandon when choosing an eatery. I think JoshF has some very good rules. However, if you're going to simply stop eating out period because you're worried about contaminants, you might as well stop buying food at the local grocery store as well. Be cautions, yes, but not overly fanatical.

Travis Kolesar

Second Unit
I worked McD's for a number of years in HS and college. I think the worst thing I ever did was use a bloody egg when making a really big batch of scrambled eggs. The management of the store was very intereted in quality control and cleanliness and wouldn't tolerate even the occasional application of teh 5 second rule.

I'd agree that Fast Food Nation is an excellent read and would recommend whole heartedly.

As far as things that really sucked at a restaurant, jsut before I moved to Green Bay, a couple of kids who worked the late shift at a local Hardees were caught masturbating onto burgers that they were sending out the drive-through. I can't remember what happened to them, it was either jailtime or fines.

Eve T

Supporting Actor
First of all Jon I was 17 years old (ever be a part of something when you were younger that you aren't proud of now?)
Secondly I said as ashamed as I was when actually my wording should have been :as ashamed as I am now looking back on things. When you're 17 and the mascara is running off of your face along with many tears because you've snapped after being treated like a dog you don't always make the best judgement calls. Would I deliever the potatoe now? NO of course not.
I guess you never did anything in your past that you aren't proud of? I appologize. :rolleyes
So yes, by God yes I delivered the baked potato.
My God call the cops and strap me in the chair. I deserve it. Oh the humanity.

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
Well, Eve, now that you have joined HA (hockers anonnymous), this is the first step on your road to recovery: you have admitted you have a problem.

Now you must change your life and make amends. I suggest you dedicate the rest of your life to tracking down that poor potatoe/booger eater and let him know how sorry you are. You may avoid the needle yet (since we are a kindler, gentler people we no longer serve them up extra crispy).

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Actually Eve unlike others on this page that posted against these actions I support any of these retailiatory efforts when the customer gets physically abusive (sorry but soon as that guy launched the potato the cops should of been called in and that guy should of been charged with assault and battery) and I bet if push comes to shove that guy might rather swallow the "luggy" potato than maybe legal penalty of his actions (most likely he'd made the local news, terminated from his job, legal fees, and possibly a criminal record) as I don't think it wise to assault a woman in public but even worse someone who was pregnant and a minor to boot (you did state you were 17 and pregnant). Eve though you might feel embarrased or ashamed of what you did when you were young, I applaud it as I think it sends a strong message to people who read this type of reaction to rethink how they treat someone else when a mistake is made (in other words, treat them like yourself and allow the person to correct it in a non-hostile manner).

Now if the customer was just rude by action not physically abusive, then a person shouldn't resort to contaminating the food of said customers but also companies should not have a policy in place where a customer can act offensively and still not be denied service (heck when I worked at Pizza Hut some of these customers got free pizzas since the manager was afraid that the person would call corporate). The climate where people make policies for many businesses and may have never worked such an environment (or least be there a day to a week as an observer) to me breeds such contempt for the working class fast food worker from certain individuals (plus I think it is also marked in the abusive customer's personality but it shouldn't be rewarded in a positive manner of still being served in a dignified manner or given freebies to placate them).

No offense Peter, but I hope that no one ever treats a member of your family in such a manner as refered to in this thread when they make an accidental mistake and if you feel the need to retaliate that someone describes this as a "need for self-analysis". I know if this happened to someone that I have any respect for I would consider this minor compared to what could of happened in the case of the baked potato (last I checked these things are quite hot and it caught in the fold of a clothing or went down the back of the shirt, this could of burned quite bad). I'm an "eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth" kind of person and though it may leave some in society blind and toothless, it usually are the ones who deserve it.

Eve T

Supporting Actor
Robert I was 17 at Ponderosa not at Hardee's I was around 20 years old then and pregnant. Thank you for jumping in however and taking a little heat away from me. ;)
What I find amazing is that since I admitted to knowing of an ill deed and admitted it I'm all the sudden attacked on all sides for something that happened when I was 17. I didn't spit in the damn potatoe I just delivered it, and yes with a smile! Like I said I was treated like a dog and YOUNG. I snapped and sometimes when that happens better judgement isn't used. That doesn't mean I think I should be belittled for something that happened a long time ago when I truly regret knowing it and have been an "accomplice" if you will.
I'm a rational human being who's honest enough to admit her own mistakes. The others here pointing fingers.......I urge you to look deep into your souls and try to think of some injustice or mistake you may have made in the past to someone (even if you felt they may have deserved it)and then come back and judge me over the "potatoe debacle of 1990". While you might think it was wrong to be a part of that incident (and it was rightfully so) I don't feel it's fair to talk about how "classy" one is or to tell one they need self analysis because they've crossed over to the "other side" about an incident they truly feel remorse for.
Give me a frigging break. People make mistakes and if you don't make mistakes feel free to put me infront of the firing range. I'll even supply the bullets.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, that was then and now is now. Let's move on and share other excellent reasons to think hard before sauntering in to the nearest eating establishment.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Not exactly a restaurant story, but food prep nonetheless:
When I was a sophomore in college, my roommate Ray used to work the front desk of the dorm on weekend nights. There was a little pizza oven there and residents could call down and have a pizza cooked and pick it up in 10 minutes. One guy was a real bastard and a bully who liked to hassle both my roommate and me. But once he made the mistake of ordering a pizza when Ray was running the desk. Ray "forgot" to take the cardboard out from under the pizza when he cooked it. Apparently it was less than tasty. :laugh:

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
that guy should of been charged with assault and battery
Shouldn't that be assault and buttery ?

Sorry:b

Anyway, retaliation stories don't bother me as much as the "other" type, whatever you want to call them, where there was no provocation. Ignorant, careless, just plain gross. By definition, there is nothing you can do to avoid it, except by not eating out.

John Miles

Stunt Coordinator
Fast Food Nation, my butt. I have T-cells for a reason. Do your worst. Bring on the Mickey D's. :)

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Sometimes I guess it just depends on the joint.
I worked in the cafeteria for a few years during college, mostly part time stuff between classes. This was an old style cafeteria, where there are vats of food behind glass and you ask a server to scoop what you want. I worked both on the line and back in the kitchen and in 3 years I never saw any "fouled" food move through there. About the closest we got was the chicken soup on Friday was usually the uneaten chicken dish from Thursday night (not from the trash, just not served.)
Actually, it was probably the cleanest kitchen I had ever seen in my life, we were required to completely scrub down ever surface every single day. Doubly surprising was that although the cooks were adults, all the other staff were either university students or local HS kids.
Hehe... except when the service lost it's contract and had to move out end of Senior year. I was no longer working there, but I heard from friends there that almost every piece of food in the larder 'disappeared' the last few weeks. We're talking about 25 lb jars of sun dried tomatoes and 4 gallon cans of fruit salad walking away. The service didn't care as they didn't want to pay anyone to move it out of there anyway... but it still makes me giggle to this day.
BTW - Stuff would 'disappear' all the time at that place, kind of a dont-ask-dont-tell mentality. Blocks of cheese would lose weight overnight, pound of ham walk away, I personally had a penchant for the occasional breakfast cereals I couldn't afford on my meager funds ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks