Restacking a Rack of Electronics

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lin Park, Feb 24, 2002.

1. Lin Park

Lin Park Second Unit

Are there any rules of thumb when placing electronics into a rack as to where each should go to reduce crosstalk or interference between power cables and interconnects?

My stack will contain an AV receiver, DVD player, CD player, and VHS player. My main amps are located near my main speakers and are not in the rack. How would you stack these units and why?

Thanx,

Lin

2. RichN

RichN Stunt Coordinator

I think a good rule of thumb is to put the one that generates the most heat (receiver) on top. After that, I would suggest the one that you will be using most, again for heat generation (the more it's used, the more heat generated) as well as ease of use, you don't want to have to get down on the floor to change a CD or DVD. But that's just my opinion. Any agreements/dis-agreements?

RichN

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

If you put the receiver/amps on top, you often have no place for the heat to disapate to, and makes the rack top-heavy.

I favor putting the receiver/amp on the bottom. This lets the speaker wires flow out with a minimal drop, and the speaker wires dont obscure the back of the other components.

Put the DVD player, VCR on top so you dont bend over to use them. Put the DSS/CATV box that you never touch down low.

Wire guidelines: keep power wires away from interconnects. Remember that speaker wires ARE power wires.

I tend to bundle the power cords loosly to one side and let the interconnects hang down the middle. I have used split loom tubing and velcro wraps to loosly group them.

4. MarcVH

MarcVH Second Unit

Sounds good, except that putting DSS/Cable boxes down low can be a problem if you put them where the IR target can be obscured by other things (like your own feet, propped up.)

5. Rod Melotte

Rod Melotte Stunt Coordinator

******Put the DVD player, VCR on top so you dont bend over to use them*****

You can tell you are getting old when you bend over to pick something up and look around to see if there is anything else to pick up while you're down there. :)