What's new

Ressurrecting old Vinyl Collection (1 Viewer)

Aristides

Agent
My mom, recently inherited my grandfather's extensive collection of old 78 RPM vinyl. Some really great big band stuff included, and in great condition.

However, we don't have a TT that will play these, so they continue to collect dust.

Where or who makes a turntable that will play them? I've gone to local stores and they barely have turntables in stock let alone one that plays 78's.

Cost is a factor so please no recommendations for anything over $500.00 if that's possible.

Thanks,
Aristides

Kevin Farley

Second Unit
The Thorens at J&R look pretty good; one for 299 and one for 3 something... here's the 299 one... Thorens are excellent turntables.
http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.p...d=750815&Sort=
That said, you can get modified Technics 1200 turntables as well, from www.kabusa.com, they make turntables for professional transcription and broadcasting. What's important with 78 rpm records is the stylus type.
Check out the Needle Doctor, Link Removed they have an 800 number as well. They are an excellent source of information. I'm not an expert on 78's, but I know that they can help you, they carry 100's of cartridges and turntables, and that's all they do.
Speaking of 78's, have you guys seen the Crumb documentary? Wow, what a collection. I'd say priceless, and I hope that it goes to the Smithsonian or Library of Congress when he dies. That's probably the best blues 78 collection in the world.
Good luck, and please let us know what you end up getting. I might want to get into 78's at some point, but right now it's about djing disco!

Aristides

Agent
:)
Thanks for all the info. I think I may go with the Thorens from J&R, it will meet my needs and not cost too much...even with the extra stylus.
Peace,
Aristides

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks