What's new

Response time (ms) or fresh rate (hz) more important for 360 games? (1 Viewer)

spitcodfry

Auditioning
Real Name
Patrick Robert
I'm hearing conflicting things about what's more important in an LCD in terms of reducing/eliminating judder and/or blurring/smearing while playing console (360/PS3) games. I want some opinions as to whether it's response time (ms) or refresh rate (hz). I've heard it's good to have the lowest response time the better. My current is 6 ms with a 60 hz refresh rate. I'm seeing noticeable smear/judder when panning the camera left or right. Image looks great when it's straight-on but blurs like I'm drunk when looking around. I want to know what kind of ms and hz to look for in a new LCD. I've heard 120 hz is best and 5 ms is good, but really don't know what to think at this point. I originally thought 6 ms and 60 hz were good, but now don't know. I wish there was a way to tweak my unit to remove the judder but no such luck so far. Any and all suggestions, tips, and help mucho appreciated.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
A lot of newer LCD panels have 120Hz refresh rates which are supposed to reduce the motion blur. As a rule of thumb, response time should be low (because it's it's a measure of time and the less time used, the better) and refresh rate should be high (because it's a measure of speed and the faster, the better).

As for numbers, I've heard 5ms is good, but I don't have any hard facts.

spitcodfry

Auditioning
Real Name
Patrick Robert

It's 6 not 5. I currently have a Samsung LN32A330.

Who knows maybe I'm just too OCD to tell the difference between this set and my old Sammy. The old one didn't seem to have this kind of judder (although my viewing distance was about 10 ft opposed to my current 5). Maybe it's a poor video processor under the hood?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linda19798888
Recent bookmarks