What's new

Response from District Manager of BlockBuster on OAR! (1 Viewer)

Jay W

Supporting Actor
Ah well, thanks for the chuckle - I needed that
wink.gif

Lary Larson

Stunt Coordinator
IIRC, Criterion's first pressing of The Last Temptation of Christ was mistakenly coded to default to pan-and-scan-on-the-fly. I suppose the guy could have recently read up on the potential capabilities of DVD and was thinking of this feature, but nonetheless, it's not at all common and, like Eugene said, it doesn't work in reverse.
Lary
[Edited last by Lary Larson on October 18, 2001 at 02:50 PM]

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
The comments from this guy, unfortunately, are shared by many top corporate guys which explains the mentality when certain studios only release full frame versions. They, themselves, are ignorant of OAR and displays.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Guys, it gets worse.
I received this statement in an email from Best Buy:
I was sorry to read that we did not have the version of DVD movie that you are in need of. It is unfortunate that we were out of the wide screen version. Our manufactures are making fewer wide screen versions in order to keep the true quality of the original movie intact. In the very near future you will see a decrease in the amount of wide screen movies being manufactured. Best Buy will continue to obtain the wide screen versions as long as they are made available to us.
Misinformed and lying.
-Dave
------------------
DVD List
"The page you are looking for is here no more. Quoth the Raven, 'Nevermore.'"

Wil_J

Stunt Coordinator
*sigh* How can one individual working at BLOCKBUSTER, a place that is SUPPOSED to at least know a little about movies, be so misinformed?
confused.gif
This is just sickening........Wil
------------------
"The rose petal floats on water,
the kingfisher flashes above the pond.
Life and beauty swirl in the midst of death."

al'Lan Mandragoran,
*******The Wheel of Time

Wil_J

Stunt Coordinator
I was sorry to read that we did not have the version of DVD movie that you are in need of. It is unfortunate that we were out of the wide screen version. Our manufactures are making fewer wide screen versions in order to keep the true quality of the original movie intact. In the very near future you will see a decrease in the amount of wide screen movies being manufactured. Best Buy will continue to obtain the wide screen versions as long as they are made available to us.
PLEASE......TELL ME your kidding! If things keep going this direction......we're screwed. I mean lets face it, J6P has us way outnumbered. Unless we do something, and fast, we're sunk..........Wil
------------------
"The rose petal floats on water,
the kingfisher flashes above the pond.
Life and beauty swirl in the midst of death."

al'Lan Mandragoran,
*******The Wheel of Time

TomRS4

Stunt Coordinator
Our manufactures are making fewer wide screen versions in order to keep the true quality of the original movie intact.
Where to begin?
The true quality (OAR) is more than likely widescreen with today's movies.
Since when did Best Buy enter the DVD manufacturing business?
------------------
Tempus Fugit

Rob T

Screenwriter
damn. You'd think that someone that high up the ladder at Blockbuster (and Best Buy) would know how great widescreen is and why DVD enthusiasts and movie fans prefer widescreen over pan & scan.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
You see? THIS is where education needs to begin!
You guys who posted these letters from Blockbuster (Peter Kim's) and Best Buy (Dave F's) should have posted not only names, but methods of contacting them (snail- or e-mail).
The HTF could send these guys the CORRECT information. Hell, the big studio guys like Peter Staddon and Martin Blythe, even David Prior and Robert Harris could correct them.
In fact, it wouldn't be a good idea to post it publicly; the idea of burying them in rude comments wouldn't go long toward "education".
But a well-written e-mail, from Ron or Parker if none of the above names would take to it, would possibly make a difference. Maybe we could get some of the directors involved who can't stand to see their stuff "MARred".
If we don't stop the slide now, then when?
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TV-DVD.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Man, this whole thing is just giving me a horrific stomach ache....
Its sad how uneducated people can be. I think part of this whole thing is not just uneducation but pure out and out stuborness. I have at times tried to educate some of my non-ht oriented friends on why I watch all my movies with those "black bars". After my quite thorough explanation and side by side comparisons, they still prefer the pan and scan!! "Those bars just take up too much of the screen!" they say in their impudent shrieks..
Lets face it guys. Allot of people dont want to be educated. We live in a brainwashed society who just dont want to think or learn.
[Edited last by Romier S on October 18, 2001 at 10:14 PM]

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
The lack of basic knowledge by managers at mass retailers is incredible. Hard to believe!!!! All the more reason to support the speciality retailers who know their product and about movies.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
You guys who posted these letters from Blockbuster (Peter Kim's) and Best Buy (Dave F's) should have posted not only names, but methods of contacting them (snail- or e-mail).
David, check my 2nd post.
-Dave
------------------
DVD List
"The page you are looking for is here no more. Quoth the Raven, 'Nevermore.'"

Ross Waite

Stunt Coordinator
Sadly enough...I'm not at all surprised about this. To date, blockbuster's policies and practices strongly suggest that Joe Six-pack is in every managment position.
Seriously, this is not meant to be a satirical "slap in the face". I think that I (perhaps we) was going on the presumption that those making the decisions at BB (and Wal-Mart, and CC, and Best Buy, etc) actually have in-depth knowledge about the product they market and that their decisions were based soley on profit. This letter indicates otherwise.
Knowing the magnitude of ignorance at the corporate level now sheds different light onto BBs business decisions. Please keep in mind that these people are not stupid. All of these companies make a tremendous amount on money. Unforunately, these deep-seeded misconceptions held by the coporate offices will be very difficult to rectify.
...for what its worth.
-Ross

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
Errr, if the players could do that then why did Universal release a Widescreen version AND a fullscreen version??
wink.gif

------------------
I didnt play Dungeons and Dragons all those years and not learn something about courage.
--Bernie Faulkner

Scott Shanks

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Shanks
Quote:
Lets face it guys. Allot of people dont want to be educated. We live in a brainwashed society who just dont want to think or learn.
I don't think it is a matter that people don't want to think or learn. It's more a matter that people resist change. When you have been watching TV and movies at home on a 4x3 TV all of your life and the shape of the movies you having been watching at home is 4x3, it will be very difficult to change the average person's habits. People are creatures of habit and there is no amount of education or beating over the head that is going to change that. I think, as long as widescreen editions of every movie are being produced, there should be no problem. Warner tried this with Wonka and was inundated with complaints. There is really no reason to worry about this. I think the studios will always make a widescreen version available for every new release. If Blockbuster only carries the fullscreen version, then take your business elsewhere.

Rex Bills

Auditioning
I visited my local Blockbuster yesterday and talked to the manager. He said it was a company decision to ALWAYS get the fullscreen version from now on on any title that offers both. He said that more people want to see it that way. When I suggested they get both versions he said that was too confusing to the customer. This sounds very discouraging.

Scott Shanks

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Shanks
Amazon's Sales rankings:
The Mummy Returns Widescreen: 5
The Mummy Returns P&S: 74
Yippeeeee!
As long as widescreen consistently outsells P&S, as is the case above and with The Silence of The Lambs and Hannibal, the studios are not going to abandon widescreen releases.
Does anyone else think this is not really a threat?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks