Response and feedback area for DVD tracking software(Mac)....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dwayne, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

Taken from this thread:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...638#post502626
    OK Mac people, I need your help.
    I've begun work on a program in JAVA to keep track of my DVD collection. I'm doing this for several reasons:
    1. To expand my knowledge of JAVA from just programming business logic to learning more about Swing, the API used to program user interfaces in JAVA 2.
    2. I have recently been laid off and I want to write something that I can possibly show off to prospective employers while I hunt for a new job.
    3. To actually write something that I can use for keeping track of my DVD collection. Go figure.
    4. In the process, I would actually enjoy creating something that would be platform independent, or at the very least, extremely portable, thus not leaving out those who use Macs.
    5. Cause I'm just nutty.
    Where do you come in? Good question. Read on to find out.
    So far, I have created a SIMPLE screen. The app (if that's what you want to call it for now) is packaged in an executable JAR (JAVA Archive File) file. It works on my PC, but since I don't have a Mac, I have no idea how it looks on that platform. So I need a volunteer to see if runs, and if possible, send me a couple screenshots of it running on the Mac platform.
    I would prefer the volunteer to be running Mac OS X since I believe that it has the neccessary JAVA runtime components already buit into the OS.
    Again, the screen is not complex. I just need to see if it runs without any further modification for now.
    I already have one volunteer (Woody) and we are currently trouble shooting our first problem.
    Thanks.

2. WoodyH

WoodyH Stunt Coordinator

Okay...here's what we've got so far.
    Initial attempt at launching via a double-click resulted in the following:
    [​IMG]
    Launched via the command line using command 'java -jar dvdlib.jar' and it launched...here's a couple screenshots:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

Thanks again, Woody.
    Here's what it looks like under a PC:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This far from what the final interface will look like. Just trying to make sure that I'm on the right path as far as programming for different environments. It's pretty cool to see what it looks like under Mac OS X.
    I'll have to trouble-shoot why it doesn't launch by clicking the jar file. I'll scour the web for answers.
    Thanks again, Woody.