Responce from Blockbuster on DVD formats

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Katofiasc, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Rob Katofiasc

Rob Katofiasc Auditioning

Oct 3, 1999

I wrote

Issue: Will you please carry widescreen versions of your DVD movies? I have noticed lately that you only carry full screen(pan and scan) DVDs of American Pie 2 and Jurassic Park III. I know some people don't like the "black bars at the top and bottom", I think you can carry both versions. I

will not rent pan and scan dvds. A good idea is to set up a small display educating people about what they are missing when watching a pan and scan movie. Most people don't realize they are missing up to 30% in each frame.

I have noticed that when people are educated they start to prefer widescreen movies.

Thanks Rob

They wrote

Thank you for your e-mail. Customer feedback is very important to us and we are

glad you took the time to write.

The movie studios determine whether or not to release their DVDs in standard

(full-screen) or wide-screen versions. It is our preference, and the preference

of our customers that because of the versatility and storage capacity of DVD

technology, DVDs include both versions on one disc. In the past, when the

studios have chosen to release separate standard and wide-screen version DVDs,

it has caused confusion amongst our customers. To minimize our customer

dissatisfaction, we have chosen to carry only one version of a title on DVD, and

our research has shown that more customers prefer the standard than the

wide-screen version. We take your comments and suggestions as a welcome show of

interest and loyalty. We are forwarding your comments to the appropriate

department for their review.

At Blockbuster, we realize that nothing is more important than our members are

and we value your good will and continued support. Thank you for your interest

in Blockbuster. If you need further assistance, please contact your local

Blockbuster store. Our employees are empowered, authorized, and expected to

take care of customers.

Blockbuster Consumer Services
  2. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

May 25, 2000
    That is the standard form letter they've been sending out for a while now. Rumor has it that Blockbuster has finally decided to start making both versions available for rental, but I'll believe it when I see it.
  3. Juan C Toro

Juan C Toro Stunt Coordinator

Jul 23, 2001
    Is this only a US issue? I live in Canada, and the last time I went to Bluckbuster - to try and rent the ONLY copy of "The Crimsom Rivers" they have- I remember seeing copies of "Jurassic Park III", and they were Widescreen.

4. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Aug 3, 2001
    Juan, it has nothing to do with country. It has to do with whether or not it is a chain store or a franchise store. The chain stores all do it one way: fullframe. The franchise stores are free to chose whatever the franchise-owner wants to do.
  5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Jan 16, 1998
    Neil Joseph
    I received the standard response also so I forwarded it back to them and told them to reply with a non-standard response....

I got no response.
  6. Mike Friedrich

Mike Friedrich Stunt Coordinator

Apr 6, 2000
    ~ Very good Neil, you mean a non-standard but OAR(original argumentive response) Response.
    Hey Blockbuster have most of your P&S customers called in yet to complain about the black bars on your Widescreen Commercials ?
    Sure seems like they really know what most of their customers want ?
    bodymov'n [​IMG]
  7. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Aug 13, 2000
    I received a phone call a few minutes ago from my local Blockbuster. The person on the phone was telling me that their store has no control over the lack of widescreens sent to them. I said, "That's fine. You need to let the powers that be know I won't rent unless it's widescreen." I tried to explain to her why I wont rent pan and scan, but I could tell she really didn't understand. She was nice about it, as was I. Hopefully, Blockbuster will continue to get responses about this.