What's new

Respect you guys (and gals), would love you thoughts on new dvd player (1 Viewer)

ok, gonna buy a new dvd player tonight or tomorrow...i have two toshiba players, but neither plays cd-r discs and i have burned my favorite christmas music onto two discs i would like to play in the living room during the holidays....i have asked and done multiple searches and all the info is swimming around my head till it hurts....but still i thought i would ask one last time before buying....just too many choices.....

my set up: i will connect to a 36" Cinema Series Toshiba TV...it is not HDTV, but i hope to get a 16:9 HDTV in about a year....so i would like my new player to work with a 16:9 HDTV, but also to work well and beautifully with a non-progessive HDTV set up too....i have only had Tosh dvd players, but would get any player that would work with my current and future set up....using component and coxial digital line currently....

options (too many for my little brain) include:

Toshiba 4700---progessive, similar menus to what i'm used to (ie. easy to use), dvd audio (not using now, but maybe in the future??)...only 224 shipped

Toshiba 3750---progessive, similar menus, no dvd audio....180 shipped (dang, the prices are dropping on these things...sort of like memory/ram prices--when i bought my imac 2 years ago i added an extra 128 mb for 250 bucks---just got 256 mb for 30 bucks!!!)

Toshiba 3755--see above but with 5 disc changer...won't use changer offen (only throw a couple of parties a year) and worry that it slows down machine and adds to break down possibilities

Panasonic RP-56--have heard great things, but (superficial i know) i don't like the way it looks, does it work well with non-interlaced image?....206 shipped

Panasonic RP-51---not progressive, but a 5 disc changer--240 ish shipped

JVC XVSH70--progessive, dvd audio, like the way it looks, but will not be as familiar with it's menus, how does it look on non HDTV??...251 shipped

or

JVC XVS60--no dvd audio--206 shipped

need something reliable, with good picture and ease of use....leaning toward the Toshiba 4700 because i am familar with tosh dvd players and it seems like i can use it now and in the future, but i'm willing to have my mind changed....but need to decide soon....

thanks greatly gavin

ps---i did check out the home theater hifi test, but it didn't test the tosh 4700 or the 3750, so don't know how they compare.

pss...why does the Toshiba 4700 have a dd decoder in it?? why does the JVC have both a dd and dts decoder in them...don't all receivers have them now, and isn't it better to use the decoder in your receiver??? thanks again g

psss sorry for the long post....

Rich_B

Grip
I have a JVC player and it's great BUT scratch it from your list. While its progressive output is fantastic, its interlaced output is lacking.

From what I've heard, the Panny has good interlaced output.

PaulKH

Second Unit
Gavin, I went from a Toshiba 2109 to a 4700 and I really like the 4700. Interlaced and progressive output are excellent. And it's easy to use and has some nice features the 2109 doesn't. I don't know if the 3750 is the same as the 4700 less DVD Audio only, but if it is, maybe I should have gotten the 3750 because I don't care about DVD Audio.

paul, thanks for the reply...went ahead and ordered the 4700 at onecall---great price, how can i go wrong...i have neither HDTV nor any dvd audio discs, but went with the 4700 so i can use them in the future (eyeing up those 16:9 34 inch direct views HDTVs from toshiba and phillips---nice looking sets and will still fit in the cabinet i have to hide all my tv gear in to please the better half)....dang, now i will have three dvd players in the house (four if you count the imac dv, and i'm planning on getting a new computer next month--then we will have 5 !?!? dvd players)...will have the 4700 in the living room, 1700 in the bedroom and move the toshiba 2108 that is currently in the living room to the guest room...then the old imac in one of the girls room and the new one (hoping for the rumored imac lcd with dvd burner) in the computer room....everyone in my family will be able to watch different movies in different rooms...ahh, and who sez that technolgy is making the family obsolete....really need to stop coming to this forum and having you all help me spend my money....g

JoelO

Stunt Coordinator
Can anyone confirm that the Tosh 3750 is the Tosh 4700 - DVD-A? What else does the 4700 has that the 3750 don't? I'm thinking of buying the 4700, but I don't think I'll be using DVD-A for while, so if they're the exact same, I'm just going w/ the 3750. Thx

Joel

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks