resources for building transistor amps

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Allan McLachlan, Jan 5, 2002.

1. Allan McLachlan

I would like to know if there are any good internet or print resources out there to help me build small transistor 50watt or under amplifiers

thanks for the help

2. MannyE

MannyE Stunt Coordinator

Manny Elgarresta
    Try "Practical Electronics" a British magazine that has plenty of amplifier projects. I believe they can be found on the net by doing a search of the title.

good luck!

3. ScottHinson

ScottHinson Extra

One of the better books I've found for the DIY'er is:

High-Power Audio Amplifier Construction Manual

by G. Randy Slone.

It covers a whole lot of mistreated, misunderstood or even skipped topics in other books. It covers amplifier stability rather well, and without having to dig out all of the old EE textbooks.

Douglas Self has a pretty good book too, but it's directed more at reducing distortion than creating a complete design. For instance protection methods aren't given a good description at all.

Hope this helps!

Scott Hinson

4. Jeremy_Wolf

Jeremy_Wolf Agent

5. Ken Shiring

Ken Shiring Agent

Jeremy, that is a totally awesome page. That one definitely goes in my bookmarks.
    One site that I am very surprised not to see referenced is DIY Audio . They are, by my observation, the definitive source for sharing audio power amp design information on the web (The HTF of amp design). They have a forum for every taste - tube, solid state, Pass Labs, even a Digital forum.
    I myself am building a 120W/8ohm - 220W/4ohm design, and frequently read that forum for ideas and help.

6. Allan McLachlan

thanks guys!!! awesome