1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

resource for CHEAP sound damping material?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by chris larralde, Aug 19, 2001.

1. chris larralde

chris larralde Stunt Coordinator

I've been collecting grey "egg crate" foam from our shipping department, but I'm thinking that there's gotta be something similar to the high priced acoustical foam out there.
    Anyone know of cheap resources, where you can buy this stuff or get it in larger quantities?
    regards,
    chris

2. Michael Roderiques

Michael Roderiques Stunt Coordinator

Don't know if this is going to answer your question or not.
    The best low cost thing you could use is good ole fiberglass insulation. Make sure that it does not have any backing.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I got a recent catalog from www.partsexpress.com. They have a sale on acoustic foam, 16 sheats of 12x12 panels for about $35.
    These look like DIFFUSERS which will do some absorbtion, but mainly reflects the sound in a different direction.
    I might also recommend a book: Sound Studio construction on a budget (or some such) from Amazon. It goes into a lot of acoustic theory and how to use such panels to the best effect.
    Good Luck.

4. Mike Dr

Mike Dr Stunt Coordinator

5. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

also see www.markertek.com for excellent pricing on their "markerfoam". Next to the Sonex, "markerfoam" is real world pricing.
    BOK